Endler lying on the bottom, breathing fast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dandries

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a female Endler that is lying on the bottom of the tank. Her mouth and gills are moving very fast. My first thought was ammonia or nitrite problem (esp. since I moved this tank two weeks ago). But ammonia and nitrite are at 0. Ammonia might be slightly above 0, but since there are low amounts of nitrates I know that the aquarium didn't "uncycle" in the short time it was down (about 2 hours).

None of the other fish are showing any signs of illness, and I have alot of young Endlers in the tank as well as about 12 adults. I did add some dwarf crayfish yesterday, but doubt they brought any illness into the tank. Beyond that, nothing new has been added except for plants.

No signs of any fungus or parasite. I pulled her out of the tank for a while and put her into some salt water. She seemed to get better so I put her back in. She went right back to the bottom. I know she hasn't been bothered by the crayfish (which I have had in that tank for months) as she she shows no fear of them and has no injuries.

Any clue what it might be? She is not visibly pregnant, so I ruled out giving birth. Should I pull her back out of the tank?

Advice please!!

I have a female Endler that is lying on the bottom of the tank. Her mouth and gills are moving very fast. My first thought was ammonia or nitrite problem (esp. since I moved this tank two weeks ago). But ammonia and nitrite are at 0. Ammonia might be slightly above 0, but since there are low amounts of nitrates I know that the aquarium didn't "uncycle" in the short time it was down (about 2 hours).

None of the other fish are showing any signs of illness, and I have alot of young Endlers in the tank as well as about 12 adults. I did add some dwarf crayfish yesterday, but doubt they brought any illness into the tank. Beyond that, nothing new has been added except for plants.

No signs of any fungus or parasite. I pulled her out of the tank for a while and put her into some salt water. She seemed to get better so I put her back in. She went right back to the bottom. I know she hasn't been bothered by the crayfish (which I have had in that tank for months) as she she shows no fear of them and has no injuries.

Any clue what it might be? She is not visibly pregnant, so I ruled out giving birth. Should I pull her back out of the tank?

Advice please!!

If she seemed better when you removed her from the tank, try removing her again, but don't do another salt bath. Just a suggestion based on no expertise whatsoever.

Did she recently give birth?

Sent from my iPod touch 4th generation using Aquarium Advice app

Possible. She is an adult and doesn't look pregnant at all. There are babies in the tank, but I have several females in there so I don't know whose they are.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Possible. She is an adult and doesn't look pregnant at all. There are babies in the tank, but I have several females in there so I don't know whose they are.

Some times my enders are stressed after birth because the males are immediately on them.

Sent from my iPod touch 4th generation using Aquarium Advice app

That makes sense. I pulled her out overnight and will transfer her back today I might move some more females into on that tank to ease the pressure.

Back
Top Bottom