external parasite on my molly??? pictures included

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

studmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Something on my female balloon molly has begun growing on her tail fin.
I'll try to answer all the questions in the sticky to give everyone more information. It looks to be a white cottony thing on both sides of her tain fin. About two weeks ago my old guppy started to get a little bloated and now she's really bloated. In the last few days this growth is starting to get bigger. She's eating and behaving normally.

I've added some pictures to help explain what my female bolloon molly looks like. Any ideas?

1~What type of fish is afflicted?
A. Female Balloon Molly, has a whitish cotton like growth on tail fin.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
A. Just tested.....Ammonia=0, Nitrites=0, Nitrates=5ppm, temp=82, ph=7.6)

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
Tank is 30 gallons, and has been set up for almost a year.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Aquaclear 150, looked it up and it does 150gals per hour, go figure :)

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
8 fish in tank (1 pleco 3", 3 tetras 1.5", 3 mollies 2", 1 Guppy 2.5")

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Did water change and vacuum cleaning 5 days ago, I usually do a 30-40% water change every weekend.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
I've had the fish for about 4 months.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No.

9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
I haven't changed it lately. I feed them HBH Veggie Flakes for 5 days per week and Nutrafin Complete flake food 2 days per week.

Attachments

• molly_f1_191.jpg
    molly_f1_191.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 90
  • molly_f2_205.jpg
    molly_f2_205.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 120
  • molly_f3_185.jpg
    molly_f3_185.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 140
the reason why I can't get a good picture of it

she loves the camera and won't let me take a good side shot of her. :)

Attachments

• molly_f6_899.jpg
    molly_f6_899.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 83
For now, I'd just keep an eye on it. Sometimes little things like that can pop up, and then go away on their own. If it continues to get larger or get red in color, then would be a cause for concern. Keeping your fish as healthy as possible will help. Regular water changes and a varied diet would be a good course of action.

Is she still eating? Looking lethargic? Anything like that?

The spot/fungas/parasite has been getting bigger and bigger. Should I be changing water more than once per week with a 30-40% change? The water conditions seem to be very good.

She is still eating as much as she can....I don't notice any other odd behaviour. I did think she was pregnant last week, but see no babies in the tank, and a smaller stomach now. (but she definitely doesn't look lethargic) There are enough places for babies to hide that I wouldn't see them for a couple weeks....or else they could have been eaten. Could the stress of pregnancy caused her immune system to weaken and some kind of infection take hold?

getting worse

The growth is getting bigger and the molly is looking a little sluggish.
I bought some Maracyn (Erythromycin) and am treating them with that.

Anybody have any other ideas?

That would be a good place to start. If that doesn't show any improvement in the next few days, try adding some Melafix as well.

Your water change schedule is fine. No concern there.

Good luck.

Update:

It looks like the Maracyn seemed to work....there is just a little scar there now that looks like it's healing up. If you use Maracyn make sure to use the full 5 day treatment.

Congrats :)

Make sure you check your water parameters too. Maracyn (although it claims it won't) can 'sometimes' set back your bio filter, causing slight ammonia spikes.

Good luck with the molly.

Back
Top Bottom