fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bloodroot

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! I need some help.

I am having some issues with my one black Harliquin Rasbora. He (assumption) has a cotton like growth, with the vast majority on his left pectoral fin joint. His fin looks in tact but he is not using it very often. He also randomly flips over for a second then rights himself, if he didn't have a white puffy stuff I would have assumed swim bladder or constipation.

My stats are as follows:
Temp - 78 F
Ammonia - 0 ppm
KH - 125 ppm
Cu - 0 ppm
GH - 179 ppm
NO3 - 10 ppm
NO2 - 0 ppm
PO4 - 0 ppm
pH - 8

My tank is a 29 gallon and is still a relatively new tank, it was only set up in May but has completely it's cycles.

I have a Top Fin Power Filter 30 in the tank. And yesterday I bought a isolation tank so currently that filter (Marina Slim Filter S10) is also running in my 29 gallon tank to cycle the filter. I will probably leave it running in there whenever I don't need my isolation tank.

I have two german blue rams (mating pair), 7 Harliquin Rasboras, one black harliqiun rasbora and 3 Peppered Cory Cats (one just passed away about a week ago, once I feel safe to bring in new fish I am getting 3 more).

The water was last changed (10 gallons) July 7th. I have sand substrate (want to get koolie loaches) so I stir up a portion of it every water change as well as vacuum the lighter particles off the top. I was planning on changing the water whenever my NO3 levels increased to 20 ppm. depending on time restraints and Levels I will change either 10 gallons or 5 gallons.

The black Harliquin Rasbora has been in the tank since I started the tank in May. I did acclimate him to the new tank. I chose to do a fish in cycle so I was checking my levels every day.

I recently added a under sand bubble bar, but I had to switch the tank entirely around cuz the bubbles were making my filter stop working. Shortly after this my cory died, all the other corys are looking healthy and active. And the cory had no clear signs of illness so I suspect that it was stress. The only hint that something was wrong with him was that he was frantically swimming from top to bottom along the glass, non of the others were doing that.

I also added a crocodile skull decoration that I used to have in an old tank (over 3 years ago). I washed it with warm water and aquarium salt.

I have, not by choice, changed the food I am feeding them. The original food is what they were eating at the fish store (really good fish, no complaints from others who have bought many fish there. They really know their fish) But my dog decided to eat all my fish food. Unfortunately I do not recall the name, but I went back to get more and they were closed for holidays. So I went and got omega one fish flakes; they didn't eat them. I then tried nutrafin fish flakes, they ate those... but my dog found the container today... so I have also been feeding them Nutrafin small tropical fish micro granules, which they LOVE. Along with the treat of frozen blood worms and Omega One Tubifex Worms.

I gave my little guy a salt bath last night for 5 minutes. He seems much more active today and I haven't seen him flip on his back. He is even using his left fin! And I cannot see white fluffy stuff on him other then a small patch by his fin, which could even be just his scales.

So what am I dealing with?

And another question, my male german blue ram is being a big meanie to his female especially when she is trying to eat. And just today he is picking on the cory cats when they try to eat their veggie waffer.

thanks!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If salt worked then it's probobbly bacterial pusdomonas or aeromoas infection, I would say keep the tank clean incl. the gravel and continue with the salt baths. I suppose it could be fungus, could be both, they often go hand in hand, would need a pic or better description of the fish not the tank or water.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If salt worked then it's probobbly bacterial pusdomonas or aeromoas infection, I would say keep the tank clean incl. the gravel and continue with the salt baths. I suppose it could be fungus, could be both, they often go hand in hand, would need a pic or better description of the fish not the tank or water.

Well I guess it is a good sign that it took me 60 pictures to get this one... little guy is VERY active and back to his ways of picking on all the other harliquin Rasboras. So the picture is not that great and I can no longer see any of the fluffy white stuff on him. He is also using his fin as if nothing happened. However now that he is using it, and doesn't have it clamped to his body I can clearly see a tare in it.

Only thing left is the discolouration of his scales. The white spot just under his pectoral fin in the picture is the best shot I could get. It almost seems like scar tissue, is that possible? And the pale scales are only where the white fluffy stuff was. Still no sign of anyone else in the tank being affected.

I want to add 3 new cory cats, would waiting two weeks give me a good idea if the tanks is better? Or should I wait longer?

Attachments

• 1405891764974.jpg
    1405891764974.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 71
Can't see the fish. It's good to take it out and put into a flat sided glass jar or goldfish bowl if you want to take pics or video, fish pics are incredibably hard to take because they are always moving.
If just the salt bath worked then I guess the people that say salt is useless are just morons....btw did you use aquarium, sea salt or packing or table? Did you agitate it? should always allow 30 minutes of agitation to dissolve before adding fish.

Can't see the fish. It's good to take it out and put into a flat sided glass jar or goldfish bowl if you want to take pics or video, fish pics are incredibably hard to take because they are always moving.
If just the salt bath worked then I guess the people that say salt is useless are just morons....btw did you use aquarium, sea salt or packing or table? Did you agitate it? should always allow 30 minutes of agitation to dissolve before adding fish.

First time I used this really awesome pure cooking salt that is actually taking right out of seawater with no additives. (mainly cuz I want not sure he was going to make the night until I could get to work and pick up my aquarium salt) I used 1/2 tsp in 1 quart container. I didn't know I needed to agitate the water... I just mixed it till the water was clear. For next time would sticking a bubble tube in there for 30 minutes.do the trick. He was only in the salt bath for 5 minutes. Today I used the aquarium salt. Same measurements.

Yes agitate first with sea salt, it's strong on their eyes and gills. Lol but hey it's working that's the good part. Yea air stone what I use. This is why I preach to people methylene blue and salt if they are not sure if it's fungus or bacterial and or both. Let us know how it works out.

Back
Top Bottom