Fuzzy Eye in Pearl Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quackenbushman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The eye has been getting more and more moldy over the past couple of days. It started with pop eye one day, possibly due to injury. The injury was not a result of being attacked, as the fish in the tank are mostly docile.

I've been putting pimafix and melafix in for the past 3 days. HELP.

Poor guy hasn't eaten that I've seen looks like he's not having any fun.

IMG_3228.jpg

Popeye is often a symptom of poor water conditions. What are your readings and have you done a change since noticing it? Did you remove the activated carbon from the filter prior to treating with Pima and mela pix?

What size tank? Tank mates? Do you have a QT? Even if it wasn't an injury, separating it may help reduce stress.

I had just changed the water the day before.

The tank is 25 gallons. Ammonia and PH are both reading more than ok.

I did not remove the filter before adding either/both medicines.

There are many other fish in the tank. One guppy, one angel (who you can see the top of in this pic, a geophagus (who you can see the back fin of), a couple of tetras, plecko, one danio

I usually change the water every 2 weeks, but I think I'll start doing it weekly, now.

All plants in the tank are alive, too, which obviously leads to more decaying matter. Thing is, none of the other fish are displaying any signs of sickness (knock on wood)

I had just changed the water the day before.

The tank is 25 gallons. Ammonia and PH are both reading more than ok.

I did not remove the filter before adding either/both medicines.

There are many other fish in the tank. One guppy, one angel (who you can see the top of in this pic, a geophagus (who you can see the back fin of), a couple of tetras, plecko, one danio

I usually change the water every 2 weeks, but I think I'll start doing it weekly, now.

All plants in the tank are alive, too, which obviously leads to more decaying matter. Thing is, none of the other fish are displaying any signs of sickness (knock on wood)

The meds won't work if the carbon remains. It nullifies the effect. Even if other fish are a symptomatic, water quality can still be a problem. Definitely up the water changes.

What is the exact numerical reading for the water. More than okay isn't helpful when discussing water quality issues.

You should really get the API liquid test kit if you don't have it and test the water regularly.

I have the liquid testing kit, but was basing this on the in-tank monitors I just installed that are displayed right on the side. Will have to do the liquid test tonight after I get out of work.

I have the liquid testing kit, but was basing this on the in-tank monitors I just installed that are displayed right on the side. Will have to do the liquid test tonight after I get out of work.

Sounds good. Also keep in mind plecos produce a lot of waste so make sure to increase water change schedule. Remove the carbon to make sure the meds are not getting re absorbed by the filter and essentially not making it back to the tank.

If you can, it wouldn't be a bad idea to separate the guy with the cloudy eye because seems like he is more vulnerable and you don't want him more stressed. Then treat him separately with the meds while focusing on improving the water in the main tank and keeping the charcoal in so that the waste of the other guys especially the pleco is somewhat minimized.

I'd say 75% of the people on here will advise water changes first and foremost.
Some might say you don't need carbon in your filter, but I prefer to use it. I think you will get different opinions on that.

I appreciate your help.

I assume the poor guy is going to lose his eye, as it looks really bad and the fuzz growing out of it is no joke.

Want to try to avoid a separate tank, but will probably set up my old ten gallon tonight, too.

I appreciate your help.

I assume the poor guy is going to lose his eye, as it looks really bad and the fuzz growing out of it is no joke.

Want to try to avoid a separate tank, but will probably set up my old ten gallon tonight, too.

Think positively. While I know it is a chore to set up another tank, it would probably help a little. Now that you know the meds only work if you remove the carbon, that may change things a little.

If someone else could weigh in, they may be able to advise you how to maintain the QT water to prevent a cycle and increase in ammonia. I would say do partial water changes there as well, but I am not certain.

Please keep us informed.

I invested time and concern to help you. Whether I was able to or not, it is pretty ungrateful not to respond to questions of genuine concern about the health of your fish.

I have no idea why these messages never reached my inbox. My apologies.

The pearl gourami, sad to say, died shortly after placing it in a separate, medicated tank. I haven't gotten another one since then, though I still feel very badly.

My fiance tells me the fish began swimming extremely erratically. Straight up, straight down at the ground for several hours before dying.

I've since then been vaccuming and cleaning the tank every 10 or so days. No problems since.

Back
Top Bottom