Galaxy Rasbora - pregnant or ill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MartynC95

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I have just bought 6 Galaxy Rasbora/Celestial Pearl Danios (3 male and 3 female - going to add 3 more female in next few weeks) and love them to bits (bought 5 days ago). 5 have settled in really well, eating and swimming around. Have been feeding them frozen omega mix (blood worms, brine shrimp and daphnia).

I have one (pictured) that settled in great but yesterday morning noticed that she was hovering around a patch of Java Fern towards the bottom of the tank and then today she has a really swollen abdomen. She has eaten when fed this morning and then ventured to the top of the tank for 5 minutes or so. None of the males are bothering her so I don't think it is stress. I am unsure if this is her having a parasite, bloated or she is pregnant with eggs and is waiting to scatter them!

Other tanks mates are 6 Otos and 2 Siamese algae eaters. All very placid and the SA just chase each other around and eat!

Parameters:
Temp - 26.3C
pH - 7.3
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
KH - 4
GH - 6

They live in a planted Juwel Rio 180 (40 gallons) tank with plenty of hiding space and space to swim. I have not treated it with anything and it was cleaned on Friday prior to their arrival on Saturday and will be cleaned tomorrow where I will also do a 20-25% water change as I do every 7-10 days.

If anyone could let me know if she is either ill, if so how to maybe treat it or if she is pregnant? I have attached 2 images of the female that I am concerned about and then another image of one of the other females for comparison.

Thank you! :thanks:

Attachments

• IMG_2106.jpg
    IMG_2106.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2110.jpg
    IMG_2110.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2114.jpg
    IMG_2114.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 25
Back