Gold Fish with Black spot on side and on fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rimshotnhavoc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a gold fish that had a weird bump on its side and it has now turned black and its fins are now starting to get black on the tips of them as well. any advice?

Welcome to AA!!!

Can you please provide some more information so that we can better help you?

Tank size?
Exact stock?
Exact Parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph)?
Water change schedule?
How long this tank has been running with fish?

A picture would be helpful as well. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422896322.146756.jpg

The tank is a 10 gallon with a 30 gallon filter . There are 3 other larger goldfish doing just fine and a plecko. I know the tank is kinda crowded the fish are going to go into a goldfish pond when this weather warms up. Water is changed Appx weekly to bi weekly.
Ammonia is .5
nitrate 40/60 a little high.
Nitrite is 0
no chlorine
alkalinity is low around 40
and ph is way acidic won't even come up as a readable so below 6.2. I can't seem to regulate tank, it was given to me about a year ago and no problems, then the fish got to big and started to have issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh and the fish picture is not well right now thought it was dead this morning but still breathing but on its side

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the information! The best thing you can do right now are daily water changes (as much as physically possible) until the goldfish can be moved into a pond and the pleco rehomed to an appropriate tank. I suspect your actual toxin levels are much higher than what your strips are showing due to the heavy stock and your fish is ill from the unhealthy water combined with very acidic conditions.

If you can possibly pickup a large (50g) Rubbermaid-type plastic tub, this will help keep the water changes to a few times a week and keep the conditions in better shape until everyone can be moved. Most chain/discount stores sell them inexpensively and they are functional as a temporary tank in the interim. Please ask if you have questions!

Back
Top Bottom