Goldfish with discoloration spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a...red oranda goldfish who I've had for a while...probably like 3 months or so. He has a circular patch of light orange to white scales on his right side right above his lateral line between the start of his dorsal fin and at the end of his gills... probably about a centimeter diameter. It looks like slightly raised scales though this is the only spot on him. This is also the same side that he's missing an eye... but I have nothing in my tank other than a filter he could've rubbed up against so I haven't a clue.... any ideas? :?

Does he rub against the gravel at all? He may have scratched himself on the gravel. Sometimes my goldies will lose their scales and look similar to what you are describing. I would keep an eye on him closely. Have you tested your parameters on that tank?

Not that I'm aware of o-o.... It's not lost scales, it's just raised up and weird colored. I haven't tested it lately, but I only have Nitrite and Nitrate and it's kinda cycling atm cuz we were cleaning the tank the other day and my bf was helping me and we took out too much water @__@

Taking out even 100% of water should not cause a mini-cycle. Did you clean the filter as well? Keep an eye on your parameters. Even goldies do not appreciate any ammonia or nitrite in the tank.

We didn't do a 100%, more like 75% but he cleaned the filter out and the filter cartridge was falling off and then tore so I had to replace it. But this was there before we did the water change and the water was cloudy before too. I think I'm gonna do a few small PWC over the next few days to make sure it doesn't bother everyone. I had a random female betta death in my tank the day before I noticed the blotch on him so I don't know what's up >.< Everyone else is fine, though.

Back
Top Bottom