Goldfish with dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

extremenewb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I need to get some advice concerning my goldfish. I think its an oranda type one. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that he/she has developed dropsy. However, it doesn't seem to show the signs of dropsy I have read online and I experienced before with my betta.

His life with me hasn't been great, and I have felt bad for it. Initially I had no tank for him, so I kept him in a 15L bucket doing 100% water changes everyday or every 2nd day. Next I transferred him to my new tank, seeded with material from a fully cycled tank. After feeding some old goldfish food, he seem to develop SBD (though my other fantail did not). I then put him on a treatment of peas and that successfully cured his extreme bouyancy and tendency to go upside down and just lie there on the surface. However, upon recent inspection, I am pretty sure he has dropsy with his protruding scales. However, he is active, and is continually scavenging for food and eating food. He has not lost colour. However, he seems to have developed a black mark on one of his rear fins, and underneath his body near his fins area. Also, his body is faced vertically down about 20-30% of the time (though maybe he is just searching food? - optimistic thoughts). My head tells me to PTS, but my heart tells me to let him live a bit longer to see how he does, especially after all he's been through and seems to have survived it. He seems so energetic and lively, I don't know what to do. Please help!!

What size thank is he in now?

The best thing you can do is to try treatment. It's possible to cure dropsy after the pineconing of the scales, but...don't get your hopes up. Swimming vertically isn't a good sign either.

I would make a quick run to the nearest LFS or pet store and get some anti-fungal meds. I've used Jungles Fungus Clear Tablets, and Maracyn-2 from Mardel, to treat dropsy before.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom