Guppies serious fungus - please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d.a.mcfarlane

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Tank size: 20 gallons

Occupants: 30 guppies (most not fully grown, approximately 10 adults), 9 tetras

I have had the tank running for 8 or 9 months and have never had a problem with the fish before. There has been nothing added to the tank for at least three weeks and I have performed a 20% water change since. The only changes that have been made to the tank are I changed one pad of the Fluval 2 plus filter 6 - 7 days ago, and recently stopped making weekly water changes, leaving it 2 weeks instead.

Last night I noticed a sudden spread of fungus, mouth fungus, cloudy eyes and finrot on almost all of my 30 or so guppies. Since then I've had two quick, unexplained deaths (the guppies appeared healthy) and three very long, drawn-out deaths in which the fish span around wildy, laid upside down and gasped for breath. These seemed to be suffering from fungus and cloudy/swollen eyes. They also seem to have transparent/white trailing feces. Although they all still eat well.

I have treated the tank with Interpet anti-fungus and finrot and also Interpet anti-internal bacteria as I feared this could also be a problem and did not see anything in the usage instructions saying not to mix the medications. I have performed a 30% water change, added salt and Stresscoat and raised the temperature slightly to just over 80 degrees farenheit. Could the mixing of the medicines be a problem? There has been no change in the fish and I am concerned about having used both the treatments at the same time.

Please help, I don't want to lose any more fish.

Thank you very much

A fungus spread is usually a sign of a drastic change in something that stressed the fish out so much, that it lost some slime coating, and therefore allowed a fungus to move it. Things that can make a fish sick are present in all water, but can effect them once the layer of protection(the slime coating) is no longer there.

This could have occured (I think) when you completely changed out your fluval 2 filter pad. Thus getting rid of perhaps most (if the tank was not cycled) of the nitrifying bacteria. It probably caused an increase in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and just general stress.

You should also never use as many meds as you did. Go with the anti-fungal. I preach Jungle's Fungus Clear tablets, they are the best I have ever used, work wonders...and can be picked up at any lfs or retail chain.

I would treat as recommended in the instructions, and add some stress coat. That's my best guess. Good luck though!!

Back
Top Bottom