guppy pooping white poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariah

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 10g tank. Its been set up for a while. It had two cichlids in it for a grow out. A betta was then put in it but now there is guppies. I got three female guppies on Sunday so 4-5 days ago. They are now pooping white poop. Its not stringie... it looks the same as regular poop but clear. I do believe they have been eating fine every day. I just put in two day old molly fry today. Five of them. I noticed the poop this morning. There see some long pieces and i don't know what it is... the cichlids that i had in there about 3 weeks ago stopped eating and had a parasite which i treated with api general treatment before selling them... this isn't a parasite is it!?!? I REALLY hope that it is not. Please help!

The cichlids had stopped eating and i had to do two treatments to get them better... it couldn't have lived that long and after two parasite treatments. My betta is in a different tank by himself and his poop is normal and he is eating still. He was in there for well over a week. Also, when i bought them one was for sure pregnant and one was kind of iffy but the third was skinny. I don't know if it just happened to be the time where they pop but two days ago the big one got box shaped and the other two are quite big now. The females also chase each other and fight/pick on each other.. help

This morning two females ate but one might have been being a bit picky .. I'm not to sure. I posted this is unhealthy fish but no body has answered to help me, hopefully someone here will!!

ForumRunner_20140214_105210.jpg

ForumRunner_20140214_105225.jpg

ForumRunner_20140214_105239.jpg

Please someone! I need to know what to do. I don't have money to go buy meds but i have a parasite thing on hand... its what i used for my cichlids but why do these guys have it now. Should i add salt? All i have id epsom salt which i use for my cichlids sometimes. I am testing the water right now
So far ammonia might be at .25ppm nitrite is 0 and nitrate is about 20ppm

Hi there. What kind of parasite medication do you have? The poo does look white, but not stringy, as you have mentioned. What I would suggest is soaking some fish food in some garlic juice (do this by crushing a clove of garlic to produce some garlic juices) and feed them that. It's a natural remedy that can cure most internal parasites, if that's what it is. How do the fish's bellies look? Do they look sunken in? I would recommend using the garlic juice method first because it won't harm the fish at all, and if anything, will help them. Try that for a few days to see if it clears up, if you don't start to see improvement, you might have to use the parasite medication.

I have noticed this light color in my guppy's poop if they have something causing them stress- like adjusting to different surrounding or new food, temperature, changes in water, etc. I don't think they have parasites so I would not give them any meds. When my guppies have parasites it causes flashing/rubbing on rocks, white spots, heavy breathing, laying on the bottom. If you notice they start doing things like that I would treat them but I think since you just bought them Sunday they are just a little stressed by being in a a new place. People say guppies are easy to take care of but my experience is that they are very sensitive to any changes and are really prima donnas. :)

Hi there. What kind of parasite medication do you have? The poo does look white, but not stringy, as you have mentioned. What I would suggest is soaking some fish food in some garlic juice (do this by crushing a clove of garlic to produce some garlic juices) and feed them that. It's a natural remedy that can cure most internal parasites, if that's what it is. How do the fish's bellies look? Do they look sunken in? I would recommend using the garlic juice method first because it won't harm the fish at all, and if anything, will help them. Try that for a few days to see if it clears up, if you don't start to see improvement, you might have to use the parasite medication.

Its general cure treats parasitic fish diseases. Gills and skin flukes. Hole in the head disease. Wasting disease. Swollen abdomen. I do have garlic that i can crush up i believe... and i will try that for a few days. The fish have gotten bigger if anything. They are not skinny. I knew for sure one was pregnant but all of a sudden the other two females 'popped'. I can try and get a picture of them but they are quite fast. The garlic won't affect the baby mollies? There is one that has been rubbing on things but not a lot. The females are really picking on each other also. I had over 100 females a few years ago but never had this happen...

They are not the best pictures but if its not them moving its me moving trying to get a pic. Here are the females and the meds i have

ForumRunner_20140214_125738.jpg

ForumRunner_20140214_125754.jpg

ForumRunner_20140214_125809.jpg

ForumRunner_20140214_125826.jpg

ForumRunner_20140214_125841.jpg

ForumRunner_20140214_125858.jpg

I have noticed this light color in my guppy's poop if they have something causing them stress- like adjusting to different surrounding or new food, temperature, changes in water, etc. I don't think they have parasites so I would not give them any meds. When my guppies have parasites it causes flashing/rubbing on rocks, white spots, heavy breathing, laying on the bottom. If you notice they start doing things like that I would treat them but I think since you just bought them Sunday they are just a little stressed by being in a a new place. People say guppies are easy to take care of but my experience is that they are very sensitive to any changes and are really prima donnas. :)

I have had them for almost a week now and it just started about two days ago. When i got them they ate all the algea in the tank from the plants and were pooping non stop. It was browns and now just white. One might have pooped black? I am going to try the garlic and then feed them again today

So i went and minced up two things of garlic and then added some water since there was no liquid. I then sifted it and this is what i have... now just put some flakes in there and then like pick them out to put in the tank?

ForumRunnerImage.jpg

That's what I'd do but I have experience so go with more experienced fish owners if they say anything

That's what I'd do but I have experience so go with more experienced fish owners if they say anything

Are you saying do the garlic thing? I am going to trust greenlily on this :p

Problem!!
None of the three females will eat it... they swim up to it, ear some and spit it out! Oh no, what does this mean?? Maybe they don't like it or is it a parasite. My cichlids did that... :S

Is their a treat they like better than flakes you can do that with?

Is their a treat they like better than flakes you can do that with?

I have blood works and algea wafers.. that is it. I also have freeze dried blood worms. They have only had flakes for the week i have had them but i will try the freeze dried?

Problem!!
None of the three females will eat it... they swim up to it, ear some and spit it out! Oh no, what does this mean?? Maybe they don't like it or is it a parasite. My cichlids did that... :S

Are you saying guppies do not like garlic? Lol. Can't say that surprises me. . .

I have had excellent results treating guppy parasites with Mardel Quick Cure. It works quickly and effectively.

Are you saying guppies do not like garlic? Lol. Can't say that surprises me. . .

I have had excellent results treating guppy parasites with Mardel Quick Cure. It works quickly and effectively.

Do you believe this is a parasite

Problem!!

Are you saying guppies don't like garlic? :). Like I said they are prima donnas.

I've had excellent results using Mardel Quick Cure to treat parasites in guppies. It contains formalin and Malachite Green.

Are you saying guppies don't like garlic? :). Like I said they are prima donnas.

I've had excellent results using Mardel Quick Cure to treat parasites in guppies. It contains formalin and Malachite Green.

Sorry this is got stuck so I thought it didn't post then it double posted. Just me being an idiot.

I don't think it is a parasite. I would give it a couple more days to see if they develop any other symptoms. I think they are fine.

If the garlic is minced small enough, they can eat the garlic too! It won't hurt the fish at all. Garlic tends to give fish an appetite because it tastes so good. :lol: You did good. It make take them a bit to come to. Just keep trying with them, I suppose. If they are more bloated than skinny, you can also put a deshelled pea in there for them to eat.. If they'll eat it. This will help if they happen to just be constipated. It's good practice to feed fish shelled peas every once in a while to help keep them regular. :) I hope they stop being so picky soon!

If the garlic is minced small enough, they can eat the garlic too! It won't hurt the fish at all. Garlic tends to give fish an appetite because it tastes so good. :lol: You did good. It make take them a bit to come to. Just keep trying with them, I suppose. If they are more bloated than skinny, you can also put a deshelled pea in there for them to eat.. If they'll eat it. This will help if they happen to just be constipated. It's good practice to feed fish shelled peas every once in a while to help keep them regular. :) I hope they stop being so picky soon!

Alright. I am going to do peas right now. So far i have tried garlic soaked flakes and garlic soaked dried blood worms. I am soaking cichlid pellets for later tonight. I have added 1 tbs of epsom salt to the 10g also

GREAT NEWS!
i have been sitting here watching the guppies and two are pooping brown poop! It is a light brown but it is not white.. like a tan, the color of their skin. The third one has not pooped yet.. what do you think it was? The garlic soaked blood worms or the peas? I put two peas in there. There is three halfs on the ground still only picked at a bit and then i took one half and cut it very very small and they loved it. They are still looking for more!

Edit:
There would have been the three females pooping all brown but now one has gone back to pooping white!! :/ what does that mean??

Back
Top Bottom