heaterless and ich infested :?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeni_shirlaw

Aquarium Advice Newbie
help!! i have an infestation of ich in my tank! the problem is that i dont have a heater so i can't cure it that way (i live in the tropics).. are there any other effective methods that can get rid of it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

jeni_shirlaw...

If you can't raise the temperature in your tank then you're limited to using one of the commercial ich remedies. You don't say what kinds of fish you have in your tank or whether you have any invertebrates (snails, shrimp, etc.) in there. I've had good luck using a product called Aquari-Sol to treat ich, though I usually use it in combination with elevated temperatures. Aquari-Sol is one of the copper based medications so it will probably kill any invertebrates in the tank (if there are any).

Its always good to have a heater, even in warm climates, for situations like this or if there's a random cold night at some point. They only turn on at a certain temperature and below, so you should probably keep one on hand. A heater runs $10-20 so you could easily spend that much on ick meds over time.

Thanks :).. yeh thats probably a good idea. I'll get one cos i guess my airconditioner would lower the water temp to about 24Celcius at night.. can fish tolerate a daily 4 degree temp change?

Haha cold nights in Singapore? I wish :p

Back
Top Bottom