HELP!!!! Cottony Fungus on Angel Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanewbie72

Aquarium Advice Activist
This morning I noticed that my angel fish has a very small tuft of what looks like cotton on one of her long feelers (I hope you know what I mean- not her fins or tail- those long feeler things that hang down LOL).
None of my other fish appear to have it... although I did notice a little bit growing on the big fake log I have in there and on one of the plastic plants.

Tank last tested on Sunday - params were A - 0, NO2 - 0, NO3 - 40.
26 gallon tank set up since November 2005 with Aquaclear 50 filtration.
Current inventory is in my sig.
I last cleaned the tank and did 30% PWC on Sunday, vacuumed the gravel, scrubbed the glass, removed ALL plants and decos and cleaned them, and put fresh carbon pack in the filter.

The angel fish I have had since December. Last week I added 2 otos - I found one of them dead on Sunday when I cleaned. He was a little bit chewed up/rotted- he may have been dead a couple days. I just thought he was hiding - I didn't know. :oops: Perhaps this is the source of my fungus?

At home I have Melafix and Jungle Fungus Clear tablets. Are either of these good for this fungus or do I need to buy something else?

THANKS AS ALWAYS!!! ~Michelle

EDIT - *gasp* It just occurred to me as I read my own post again that the plant I mentioned above where the cottony stuff is growing - is the same plant where I found the dead oto's body (he had swam down into the middle of it and died).

I did scrub the plant with hot tap water - maybe I need to use something else or even discard it????
and then of course my question still remains on how to heal my angel. :)

thanks again. LOL

*Ventral fins - Aka, angel whiskers.

An anti-fungal like Melafix should take care of the condition. It's possible that the cottony stuff was a piece of decaying flesh from the oto, so it was a good idea to scrub the plant down.

Thanks Jchillin!

I just checked my water params and my ammonia is somewhere between 0.25 - 0.50, my N02 is slightly elevated (not quite 0.25 but definitely not 0), and my NO3 is through the ROOF. Don't mean to be graphic but I think I've still got a chunk of dead fish in there somewhere. Looks like I'm doing a PWC tonight.....

Let's see.... I bought them Wednesday night, saw him Thursday night and Friday morning.... Friday night he had disappeared. I found his remains on Sunday afternoon so he was dead 48 hours at most. The remains I found were... "incomplete" - I thought the rest of him got eaten by something. Crazy cuz I vac'ed in there real thoroughly.

ANYWAY... Thanks, I'll check my filter box and pull that plant out and give it another good cleaning... maybe I missed something.

Back
Top Bottom