Help identify this disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NaeNae

Aquarium Advice Newbie
image-3839644640.jpg

I'm trying to help my friend identify what's wrong with his black umbee.

They're rare here in Australia, so he really wants to get this fella better ASAP.

As you can see from the photo, the fish is developing pimple like lumps on him.

Water is changed regularly and the fish is on a good diet...

Any ideas?

I have no experience with these guys but the pic looks like some type of parasitic worm- what exactly, I do not know. I know the options you have for treating fish are very limited in Australia. Hopefully, someone who sees this can positively ID it and then you can figure out what options you have available for treatment. I believe you may a product called Sterazin available that is supposed to be effective against a variety worm-type parasites. I am sorry I can not offer a more definitive answer!

No worries, thanks for the info, I'll pass it on to my mate :)
Thanks heaps :)

It doesn't look parasitic to me, I would start looking at Lymphocystis and Mycobacterium. I'm not familiar with what medications are available to you guys but I'm afraid to say that neither has a great track record of being cured. Lymphocystis is rarely fatal but will leave some nasty looking side effects, and Mycobacterium can be addressed with some success with the right medication.

Back
Top Bottom