help - my betta is lying in the bottom of the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KongfuCookie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My betta stopped eating since last night. He doesn't move much, and pretty much lying in the bottom of the tank most of the time. I tested the water: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, and 0 nitrite. PH 6.5. Temperature 80 degrees (I raised it from 78 since this morning when).

He is in a 4 gallon tank all by himself with plants (dwarf baby tears and Anubia), a filter (sponge, biomedia and activated carbon) which doubles as an air pump (the output is like a waterfall), homemade CO2 system, betta log (by ZooMed) and a temperature controlled 25 heater set to 80 degrees.

I change 25% water everyday and use Prime. I just don't see why it's happening because he doesn't have any physical sign of sickness. He "looks" fine, but he doesn't behave like a healthy one. I only had him for 6 months. It's the first time this type of thing happening. I am so concerned.

I just did a 50% water change this morning, hoping he will feel better. Is there anything else I could do to help him? Should I add aquarium salt to the tank?

Betta

In my personal experience, he is most likely constipated. I don't know if this is the "right" thing to do, but my husband and I will feed our bettas the inside of a pea once a week to ensure that they are being able to pass food quickly enough. Like I said, it may not be the best thing and someone may have a better suggestion, but with our 4 bettas that we have had 3+ years now, it works for us. What type of betta do you have and how long have you had him? You could also try to change up your decor to let him explore something he isn't used to. Sometimes, certain bettas just like to be lazy :) I hope I helped a little. Good Luck!!

Nic & NiCole

In my personal experience, he is most likely constipated. I don't know if this is the "right" thing to do, but my husband and I will feed our bettas the inside of a pea once a week to ensure that they are being able to pass food quickly enough. Like I said, it may not be the best thing and someone may have a better suggestion, but with our 4 bettas that we have had 3+ years now, it works for us. What type of betta do you have and how long have you had him? You could also try to change up your decor to let him explore something he isn't used to. Sometimes, certain bettas just like to be lazy :) I hope I helped a little. Good Luck!!

Nic & NiCole

Thanks for the suggestion. What type of pea should I get? I have some frozen edamame at the freezer. Do you think I can feed it to him after cooking and smashing the pea? I would totally do that if I can keep my betta (I only have it for 6 months) for 3+ years like you!

I don't know what type of betta I have. He has long fins (see picture).

He is usually very active, curious and he is hungry for food all the time. Even yesterday morning he was playing with his log (going in and out) and checking all the plants in the tank. By evening when I got home, he's like a totally different fish.

I am really hoping he will be ok.
I hope I

Attachments

• 2013-12-30 12.56.40-2.jpg
    2013-12-30 12.56.40-2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 107

Nic & NiCole

Thanks for the suggestion. What type of pea should I get? I have some frozen edamame at the freezer. Do you think I can feed it to him after cooking and smashing the pea? I would totally do that if I can keep my betta (I only have it for 6 months) for 3+ years like you!

I don't know what type of betta I have. He has long fins (see picture).

He is usually very active, curious and he is hungry for food all the time. Even yesterday morning he was playing with his log (going in and out) and checking all the plants in the tank. By evening when I got home, he's like a totally different fish.

I am really hoping he will be ok.
I hope I

I had a betta who would sit around, so I would change up his tank and that always helped perk him up! He was very curious :) and I have used peas to help my female bettas as one got constipated before. He is very pretty!

45 gal. freshwater and 10 gal. female betta tanks

Maybe shut off the CO2 for a bit ?
Yes he could be constipated as well.
Does he look fat ?

Use frozen/thawed/skinned Green Pea.
Do not feed him any pellets for a day or two.

Just an update.

My male betta is recovering. I observed him and determined that he wasn't constipated. His belly wasn't big and he pooped normally.

I did 100% water change, added Seachem prime and stability, and added two drops of Betta Revive to his 4 gallon tank. For the following few days, I've been doing 50% water change everyday and continued using Seachem Prime and Stability. I stopped Bett Revive on the 3rd day.

His appetite came back on the second day and he started swimming around the tank more starting the 3rd day. He hasn't completely recovered yet but he is on the recovering path.

I think this scary incident may be caused by some sort of bacteria infection because I noticed his fins didn't look as complete as before. I will continue with water change and re-introduce good bacteria back to the tank (I believe Betta Revive may have killed both good and bad bacteria) with Seachem Stability.

Thank you all for the suggestions. If you guys have more ideas about helping my betta to recover, please let me know!

Glad he is doing better :)

Oh thats a shame :( I'm sorry

Back
Top Bottom