Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoopstergirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I am new here but really in need of help with my 10 gallon tank. I inherited this established tank just shy of two years ago. Occupants included 2 zebra danios, 1 neon tetra, 1 betta and 1 pleco. The betta, which I believe his primary problem may have been old age (the previous owner had him for nearly 3 years) took a drastic down turn earlier this week when 1/2 his bottom fin disappeared. I was giving him 2 salt baths per day which seemed to perk him up a little. All other fish were acting and eating normally. For the purpose of what I thought would be helping his fins heal, last night I added a 1/2 dose of Melafix to the tank, leaving the carbon filter in. I was trying to be very gentle in the treatment but instead I awoke this am to two dead danios and the pleco obviously not in good condition. As soon as I noticed I did about a 30% water change in hopes of saving the pleco, but he has since died too. I also changed the carbon filter. All that remains is the neon who so far looks/act normally. What do you suggest I do now to get the tank back in good shape, esp. considering a community type fish is now all alone?

No fish food changes.
No water parameters tested since water change this am.
I use Kordon Novaqua and Amquel + to condition any water changes/additions
Filter says Top Fin 10, in which I put Whisper Bio Bags
I added a new 4" plastic plant w/ the last montly gravel vacuum on 6/2. Since then I have done a couple smaller water changes/additions (maybe 10%) in addition to the one this am.

Thank-you for reading this long post, any help is much appreciated.

Had the water tested today at the pet store and all 3 are 0 today. I am thinking of doing another 30% water change tonight and then test water again in a couple days. The neon still appears normal but I don't want to kill any more fish--do you have suggestions as to when I might safely get some companions for it? Thanks for replying!

I would not suggest getting anymore companions until you have a decent test kit such as the API fw kit to monitor your water for yourself. The melafix was a likely factor in your fish's demise if they were all fine prior to adding it although your water parameters at the time it happened would tell a more complete story. I would continue to do some extra water changes in the meantime just to be sure all of the chemicals have been removed from the tank as well.

How did they test it? 0 in all three is unusual unless you have a heavily planted tank.

Hi hoopster,

I have never had a bad experience with Melafix, but I would not use it on Anabantoids. There are numerous reports that Melafix coats the labyrinth organ, thus not allowing the fish with such organ to process atmospheric O2 effectively. However, since the danios and pleco died as well, I'm inclined to believe that something was wrong with the Melafix or you may have overdosed the tank. Check to see if there is an expiration date on the bottle of Melafix.

David

Thank-you everyone. My apologies for doing a poor job of describing the water test results. The store employee used one strip for ammonia and a different strip for the other parameters. All tested in the lightest color range on the stip, so I now realize that doesn't actually mean "0".

The Melafix expiration date is Feb 2015, I just bought it last week. I administered 1/2 the dose recommended for a 10 gallon tank.

Now I am wondering if my heater (25W Theo Hydor) wasn't part of the problem. We do not have a/c in our house so it was turned down to 71 w/ the water temp staying 80ish. We had a cooler day yesterday and I noticed the heating indicator light was on even though the water temp was 84 and the room temp was mid to low 70's. I turned it down to 69 and the water temp is now 82. Maybe a temp spike over night might have killed the fish? Is this possible?

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the comments.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom