Hexamita

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wfoxx3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Long story short, my 1 platy in 5 gallon tank has been sick. She is now to the point where she is just hanging at the bottom or top of the tank and not eating at all. I now think it is Hexamita because she was healthy a while ago but had clear stringy poop and now has gotten to this point.

I initially thought ICH because she has little spots at the base of her tail and then thought it was a parasite because the salt/heat treatment did not work. So to treat for parasite I have administered 2 doses of Tetra Parasite Guard (it says I can do 1 tablet every other day 3 times)

The parasite guard has Metronidazole in it which I understand to be the treatment for Hexamita. But it is not the only ingredient in the medicine and everywhere I read suggests treating with just Metronidazole.

So my question is do you think I should continue my last dose of Tetra Parasite Guard (which would be the day after tomorrow since I administered today), forget the last dose and go out and get just the metronidazole, or do the last dose of parasite guard and then go out and start treatment of metronidazole? Any help is much appreciated! My fish is very sick and I am so worried for her. She hasn't been eating for 5 or 6 days now and I don't want to lose her.

Back
Top Bottom