I'm back for some advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ainsleythurston

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I left my fish with my hubby and he didn't change his water for about nine days.. He started having spasms so I put him in his bowl to heal him.. He is doing better and I change his water every day, but I cannot get a spot to heal.. He was missing scales when I came back.. i treated him with some melafix and some parasite medicine and he isn't having spasms that bad ne more.. I cleaned his tank and i'm cycling it, I will put him back in it 2 morrow.. Am I doing this right? some advice could help..:confused:

Yes, the type of fish will help determine what actions you need to take. If it is missing scales then clean water is necessary, keep up on the water changes and keep testing your parameters. Any other fish with similar symptoms? What parasite medicine did you use?

Sorry I didn't mention what fish, he is a betta.. I used the tank buddies for parasites.. I check on him and he is just laying around, he has only been sick since wed. so i am hoping when i put him back in his aquarium he will do better..

I just checked him and he isn't having rapid breathing but he is breathing kindof heavy.. I hope I can get him well!

I would do very frequent water changes up to twice a day untill you have your tank cycled. If he is just missing scales water changes would be the best. I would not treat for parasites unless you know that he has a parasite. Meds can do more harm at times than nothing at all.

He only comes up for air and he goes right back down to the heater.. He is eating so that is good sign right? I feel bad for him.. I am trying to get him well! Should I give another treatment for parasites, cause he did act alot like he had parasites, I think that is one reason when I came home and his scales were missing..

He is now darting around seriously, I am really concerned! I really need some help, I started the cycle yesterday, should I put him in or wait?

Why did you have to recycle the tank? You should have just done the water change and then added meds if you felt he needed them. Do water changes every few days if you need to and keep checking for ammonia and nitrites.

I cleaned out the tank because my husband didn't change the water for nine days.. I might didn't need to cycle but I needed to clean his tank out.. I just don't want him to die.. I read a little bit about swim bladder disease and he does seem like he has symptoms of that too because he looks really injured from scraping himself.. He just swims around in a circle.. He is breathing kindof heavly like I said.. I just hope he will be o.k..

Back
Top Bottom