Is it popeye?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
My friend told me this afternoon that his Jack Dempsey is sick. He says that the only symptom so far is that the fish's right eye is popped out, so I assumed it was probably popeye, but I don't have any personal experience with this disease so I can't say for sure. Could this be a symptom of any other disease? I don't have any pics, and I don't know the perams since it is not my tank (but I do know that this is an established tank). If it is popeye, what would be the best course of treatment? Is popeye contagious- in other words, would it be best to qt the fish or treat the whole tank? Will the fish likely lose its eye? The fish is eating normally, if that makes any difference for treatment. TIA, and I'll keep you guys posted. 8)

I have never had to deal with popeye either. All the reading I have done on it suggests that it is a symptom of poor water quality. If that is the case, I don't think it is contagious - one fish's reaction to water issues - although it is a good idea to watch out for the other fish in the tank. I would put this fish in a QT tank and treat with antibiotics. Watch the other fish for any symptoms, and do some water tests and be prepared to do some water changes over the next few days if necessary.

Thanks! Is there a specific antibiotic that you would recommend?

All the Mardel antibiotics - Maracyn I, Maracyn II, Tetracycline, and TriSulfa say that they treat popeye. A new med from Mardel, Biospheres (Maracyn Plus) also treats popeye.

Use whatever broad-spectrum antibiotic you have on hand; if you have to buy one, I have always liked the TriSulfa product. I did get the Biospheres product but only used it briefly for finrot. If the popeye seems especially stubborn, you can use Maracyn I and II together - if you start out with Maracyn I and there is no improvement, you can add some Maracyn II also.

I battled popeye recently with Maracyn II with perfect success, and yes water conditions are the trigger for it it seems.

Back
Top Bottom