Is my apple/mystery snail dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaygunK

Aquarium Advice Freak
This morning i noticed my snail was on the end of the filter. I left him a while and then when i got worried maybe he was hurt, i took a net and knocked him down. His foot was a little bit sucked up in the filter.

He hadn't moved for a couple of hours from where he landed when i pulled him off the filter. So i took him out and placed him in a little fish bowl with an algae wafer. He did move a very tiny bit and shimmied over to the wafer. I don't think he ate much of it or any at all. Then i thought maybe he's cold (the bowl has no heater) so i put him back in the tank and he hasn't moved and is just half hanging out of his shell.

What do you think? I don't want him rotting in my water, but i can't tell if he's dead or just shaken up from being pulled off the filter from this morning.

FYI-He's also a very active snail, so him not moving makes me think the worst. :blink:

Reagan

I have some snails in my ACF (african clawed frog tank) and they love to sit in the filter intake. They sit there for hours a day and then they will move all around the tank. It's funny to watch, but I don't ever get worried. It is really harmful to a snail when you pull them off of a surface...like ripping the taste buds off your tongue (but to them its their whole body) so you might've caused it by hitting him off the filter...but I bet he will be fine! Just relax and let him do his thing.

Mumma.of.two said:
Unless he STINKS he's alive ;)

I'd agree with mumma. Or if he doesn't move for a week and is upside down. Good luck!

If he is upside down you should place him belly down.

Unless he stinks he is probably just stressed. Snails are pretty self healing so I would give him a little time.

xtra51 said:
I'd agree with mumma. Or if he doesn't move for a week and is upside down. Good luck!

Upside down for a week still isn't an indicator. I've had some do that or float for a week. Just when you think they are dead they 'wake up' and crawl off!

Whoops - that's not good if it's stinky... If you need to double check, I would FIRST take him out, shake him a bit (lightly) and see if it falls out... Weird - I had 2 snails that were dead (2 differnt times - 2 different tanks) neither of them had an odor when I just smelled them... Both apple/mystery.

It wasn't until I took them out of the tank and held them over a bowl (upside down) did I realize that they were dead. When I did that they fell right out of the shell... THEN they were stinky...

Snails are cool. I now have a nerite and a mystery.

Start again.

He's alive! :fish1:I went out of town for the weekend and he was in my husband's care (which really isn't "care" so much as "leaving them alone"). I came home and he was crawling up the wall! So, all is well again. I guess they are little survivors!

Not sure how big this picture is going to turn out, but just wanted to show off Locks. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine like to sit and not move for a while. I have one that will just float on the surface for a day or two then go back to the bottom. My husband tells me its "surfing" the tank again.

Back
Top Bottom