Is my betta ok? :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aquarium salt is contraindicated for dropsy. It maintains bloat. You need to use epsom salt. It helps relieve the pressure from bloating. If you are using aquarium salt, it may be aggravating the situation.

Aquarium salt actually retains water. Change to epsom, seriously.

Today was the first day of aquarium salt, I'll switch to Epsom salt as soon as I can tomorrow. I've read the normal dose is about 2.5 teaspoons per 10gal, is that about right?

Today was the first day of aquarium salt, I'll switch to Epsom salt as soon as I can tomorrow. I've read the normal dose is about 2.5 teaspoons per 10gal, is that about right?

I don't want to give you the wrong dosage so. I'd research it a bit more if I were you. I have never added it directly to my tank and have just done salt baths.

The epsom salt will be much more effective than aquarium salt in this case ... THAt much I can tell you!

I found some info comparing the two salts and detailing salt baths and dips. I'll get the salt out of my smaller tank and do a salt treatment later when I have more time, but for now my betta's back in the main tank and out of the aquarium salt water.

Thanks for that bit of info, had no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I emptied almost all the aquarium salt water out of the 5 gal and replaced it with fresh, clean water. I also had my betta do a 12 minute Epsom salt bath in a one gallon following the method on this site: http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/salt-baths.html
She didn't like it at all, but she was a trooper and didn't race around or pass out or anything. It seems like the swelling may have gone down a little bit. I'll probably have her do another bath tomorrow and I may increase the time to 13 or 14 min, but I'm a little afraid to try the whole 15.

I emptied almost all the aquarium salt water out of the 5 gal and replaced it with fresh, clean water. I also had my betta do a 12 minute Epsom salt bath in a one gallon following the method on this site: Salt Baths - Betta Splendid
She didn't like it at all, but she was a trooper and didn't race around or pass out or anything. It seems like the swelling may have gone down a little bit. I'll probably have her do another bath tomorrow and I may increase the time to 13 or 14 min, but I'm a little afraid to try the whole 15.

Go with your gut. I'm impressed you kept her in that long. I always second guess myself at 5 minutes and end up taking my fish out. I then do another short one a little later - but that is probably stressful and not helpful.

Interesting link. I didn't know there was a difference between a bath and a dip! You learn something new every day!
Keep us posted.

I like that the link talks about the different uses for Epsom and aquarium salt, I'll definitely be referencing it next time something happens with my fish :)

My experience with bettas tells me its gotten old. Seen it happen to all my old bettas. Its most likely dropsy and it cant be treated. Dropsy accurres either because of poor water conditions or weak fish with a bad immune system. in this case, caused by old age.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I did a 13min salt bath yesterday. She isn't looking any better yet, but doesn't look worse either...

You're probably right about the weaker immune system :(

Sorry for your loss :(

55 gallon elephant nose tank
16 gallon Giant African shrimp tank

I'm sorry for your loss.
She's not suffering anymore. She's hanging out with my Bubbles and all the other Bettas in the big rice paddy in the sky :)

I dunno if people already mentioned this.. But you havning a betta splendid for so long is an achievement it self.. Their lifespan is around 2 1/2 years.. My guess is old age, all my betta's went through the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom