Is my betta ok? :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piggypie

Aquarium Advice Activist
A few weeks ago my female betta Cleo began acting weird. She was never super active, but would sort of patrol the tank, investigating an MTS here and there etc. but now she just stays near the ground in the back corner of the tank. When I get home she still comes to the front of the tank to get food, but after that just goes back to the corner. She also looks a little bloated and her colors are a little more dull than normal. I know that all these symptoms can be normal for betta fish, but I'm still sort of worried. I'm considering rearranging the tank to see if maybe she's just board, but if she really is sick I don't want to add stress. Does anyone have any suggestions? :(
She's in a heavily planted 10gal with 0 ammonia or nitrates, and at 78*F. There are also 6 glow light tetras (which are perky, relaxed, and doing great) and a bunch of MTS.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413672788.459471.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413672802.048408.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413672884.561886.jpg

How old is she?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Symptoms:

Symptoms vary widely. Some fish present with the classic swollen belly, others display skin lesions, while still others show few symptoms at all. This variability is what makes diagnosis difficult. However, in most cases a number of symptoms are observed, both physical and behavioral. Those include:

Grossly swollen belly
Scales stand out (pinecone appearance)
Eyes bulge
Gills become pale
Anus becomes red and swollen
Feces pale and stringy
Ulcers form on the body along the lateral line
Spine may become curved
Fish clamps fins
Fish becomes lethargic
Fish stops eating
Fish hangs near the surface

These symptoms are the result of the progression of the infection. Internal organs are affected, most notably the liver and kidneys. Anemia occurs, causing the gills to lose their normal red color. As the abdomen fills with fluid organs are pushed aside, sometimes causing the spine to curve. Scales protrude from the body, giving the appearance of a pine cone. This symptom is a classic indication of a severe infection.

I just copied pasted this not sure if it helps sounds like It might be dropsy though

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Okay generally speaking when you buy a betta they are already about 1 year old. If you have already have had her for two years, she may just be reaching old age. Doesn't mean she is sick she is just getting older. That would be my guess if she still is responding and eating.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have you tried feeding her a de shelled pea? (Blanched first) she's maybe constipated. What color is her poop?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got her when she was really young (under an inch long) and I've had her for about a year and a half.
I really hope it isn't dropsy :( I lost my last betta to that years ago and it was a very painful experience.
I'll try to watch for the color of her poo next time she goes, but it's hard to catch with her in the corner all the time.
She didn't come up to eat today, but her color is a little better.
I'll do a big water change, and rearrange the tank a little tomorrow to see if that helps. If it doesn't I'll try the blanched pea... :(

I hope it's not dropsy, although it looks like it to me :(. We recently lost our beloved betta boy to that :'( We tried to make him comfortable and tried to do what we could to help him. In the end, he passed about 5 days after we first noticed he was sick. I miss him so much. We buried him near our big window where we have our bird feeders.

I hope she's just a little bloated. Try fasting her, and the pea thing could be helpful too.

She came out for a while and was pretty active, so I got a better picture of her face and noticed there are some white spots on it under her eyes. Now she's in the front corner instead of the back one, but idk if that's much of an improvement.
I hope she's just bloated or constipated :( ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413772824.131368.jpg

I'm glad she was out :)

My boy was swimming around a lot the night before he passed.

Not to be Debbie Downer.

I really hope she's just constipated too. Those spots weren't there before?

Are her scales sticking out at all?

Those spots and the one on the top of her head weren't, but that could just be aging...
It looked like they stuck out a little when she turned sharply, but I might just be imagining it :(

Could be aging/color changing?

Bettas should be able to live for 3-5 yrs total provided they don't get sick/disease or something else happens. I've even heard of people having them for 7+ years!

I hope you were imagining it. Keep us posted!

I would put him in a quarantine tank just in case it's illness. Fast him (except for the pea) for a few days to help with the bloating. Also a little epson salt or aquarium salt wouldn't hurt even if he isn't sick. I would also recommend you keep some antibiotics on deck and monitor him closesly.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

She's about the same :/ I did a big water tank, rearranged a little, and have been fasting her, but she's still just laying there most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom