Is my neon tetra sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zjovana

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 6 neon tetras in a 10g. I noticed today one of my neon tetra's red stripe isn't as red as the other ones. It looks kind of faded I guess. It also has this tiny I don't know if it's white or yellow dot on it. It is still schooling with the other neons and it's eating. Is it sick? I've had these fish for only about 4.5 weeks now and I've been doing 20% daily water changes since my tank is still cycling.

I'm not sure. I guess it kind of is. I've googled ich, but it doesn't really look like the pictures I've seen. It is more yellow than white. But I guess there isn't anything else it could be right? With ich, does the fish lose its color?

My neon tetra has more spots today so he does have ich. :( What's the best way to treat this? Should I treat the entire tank since it's contagious? I have 6 neon tetras in the tank total. I read that higher temperatures help. How much can neon tetras tolerate? My tank is at 80 degrees right now.

You can use the heat method, which takes about 2 weeks, but it needs to be 86* at least, and I am not sure how hot the tetras can handle it, and you need to vacuum often while treating. When my betta had ich, I used QuICK Cure from Walmart, and the ich was gone in 4 days. If you do use meds, make sure you use the dose for tetras, which is 1/2 dose, just like bettas. And be sure and use it as long as the bottle says.

My temperature is at 85 right now and they seem to be taking it well. I will put it at 86 today. Do I need to vacuum everyday? Also, my neon has more dots today. Is that normal? I also put in an air stone so they have enough oxygen.

hope your neons are doing good. your tank has only been setup for 5 weeks your right in the middle of your cycle your ammonia & nitrite levels are at the top, so you don't want to use antibiotics, as it can kill the bacteria your trying to grow.

Like in most cases were your fish get sick in a newly setup tank its from stress, in most cases this will past when your tank cycles, and don't be suprised if you loose a few fish. keep you feeding to a minimum, at 8 weeks check your water for nitrite & ammonia, it should be cycled.if not wait another week and check again, even if you have lost all your fish it will still cycle.

let me know how it coming,tell me a little more about your tank and filter?

goog luck

fishman

Ich will get worse before it gets better... just keep the heat up and make sure you keep it up 2 weeks after you see the last spot. Having the heat up will also speed up your cycle so you may end up killing two birds with one stone with that. I wont use any meds in my tanks, its totally up to you, but i think that if there's a natural method, its best for fish...

Well, unfortunately, the sick neon passed away yesterday :(. Its tail was actually stuck in the filter tube thing. The rest of my neons look fine. They are very lively and are eating and swimming around. My water is at 86F. Should I keep at that temp for a while? None of the other neons ever showed any spots. It was just that one neon that had them.

I would do a 35% water change after the death of that neon and keep the temp. at 86 degrees for at least 10 more days.

I would also do a good vacuum, to get rid of any ich spores that might be in the substrate.
So, your temp has been up for around 10 days already right? I would just do 5 more days or so, until you are SURE there are no white spots on the other neons. :)
Sorry about your little guy. :(

Yes, it's been about 10 days now. I will keep the temp up for a little longer. The other neons never got any spots which I found weird. I think the neon that died might have had another disease as well. I hope my other neons survive! Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom