Is this fishie sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IrisMR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello folks,
I just returned from cleaning up my tank and I noticed that one of my fellahs is looking strange... It's like it has two spots at the same area on both eyes. It's at the front, it's two elongated stripes. Do you think it's an illness??

Sorry about the images, they're the best I could do. That guy's still swimming. On the left side there is also some sort of skin flap floating in front of the eye.

Should be noted that I also found a dead danio in my filter. But I think it might've gotten beaten to death by the big blue guy. I'm not sure though, the filter did quite a job on the remains.. Still, its fins were always shredded, and that big blue was often after it...

Attachments

• fish1.jpg
    fish1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 47
  • fish2.jpg
    fish2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 49
What a cool looking fish!
What are your water parameters? Dead fish can cause an ammonia problem and dirty tank, which can lead to cloudy eye.

Let's see... Right now I got pH at 6.5 (a bit lower probably, my lighting to read tests is bad right now), I got no ammonia, less than 0.1 nitrites, and less than 5 mg/L of nitrates.

My guess is that the nitrates used to be higher than that, but well, that's from a brand new waterchange.

A white skirt tetra. But it's colored artificially.

There's pretty much no nitrites like I said. It's always down to negligible levels.

And it doesn't look like cloudy eyes. It's really just two spots on the eyes, at the front of them. Nearly identical.

Every week, sometimes every two weeks if the prior weekend was a pain.

Ok, well I would try as hard as I could to change it once a week. :) I know how the weekends go, and sometimes I don't get to mine until Monday.

Back
Top Bottom