Lazy cory? Too lazy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patryuji

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought another "spotted" cory two days ago and popped it in my QT. I believe it is a Corydoras Brevirostris (or Delphax). I keep the QT cycled with some ghost shrimp and guppy fry (month old) and the new temp resident did not have to deal with very high ammonia or nitrite spikes (nitrites barely hit 0.5ppm and then dropped back off). I found this fish leaned up against the glass face first at an awkard angle. I looked at it and could not tell if it was breathing (I don't have any lighting on the QT other than room-ambient lighting). I then lightly tapped the glass to see if it would swim away...no reaction. Then I used my gravel vac to lightly push it to see if it was alive...no reaction (seemed lifeless at this point). I then moved in against the glass very closely to try to directly observe signs of breathing and it swam off quickly. Is this early signs of sickness or just a very sleepy and lonely cory?

I have 3 Corydoras Leucomelas which do not exhibit the same behavior but since it is a different species I don't know if that is worthwhile info.

I would keep an eye on it. Since you just put it in there, it may just still be 'adjusting' to things. Also, since you don't have a light in the tank, the fish could be sleeping. Fish do sleep ya know! Some of the albino corys that I have lay around and don't move when I tap the glass, or even when I am gravel vaccuming the tank! Lazy bums....

Yeah, my panda cories seem to alternate between periods of activity and seeming lifelessness. It would kinda freak me out at first.

Since it is a new fish, do keep an eye on it.

Chances are, it is just getting used to the new tank. Corys are social fish and in the absence of any fishy stimulation during QT, your's may just be bored and lonely.

Also, be aware that most bottomfeeders are nocturnal. My albino bronze corys lie around all day long (except when I feed the tank and they go into 'vacuum mode'). However, at night, I can see them zipping all around the tank.

Chances are, it is just getting used to the new tank. Corys are social fish and in the absence of any fishy stimulation during QT, your's may just be bored and lonely.
I agree, continue to keep an eye on your new friend and keep us updated.

It is looking much better so far. It definitely seems bored and tired of the small 10gallon QT already (I now see it swimming against the sides like it wishes it had more room to swim around in). I have seen no exterior signs of parasites or infections so after a few more days I'll "toss" it into the 29 gallon tank so it has some friends to swim around with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom