Little black worms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZoophobiaMisfit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just noticed these little black wormy type dudes in my little sponge that I have on my filter to calm down the flow just a couple of days ago. When I noticed them it was late at night and I had just gotten off of work so I simply changed the sponge with a new one and went about my night. Checking my fish again today, they have started coming back already. I only saw two this time where I saw a good handful the second. My water parameters are good. Yellow on the ammonia test and around 7.4 for Ph. Which I believe is technically high But that has always been my Ph from when I first established the tank.
I just need to know if these are bad to be honest. And what should I do to get rid of them if they are. My friend said they were little baby betta fish (I have a betta) but I've done research on that in the past and I really don't think she's right. Plus it's a male betta fish. So that would be really weird so
Attached are some pictures of the worms, my 5.5 gallon set up (just in case it matters), and the ammonia test. 20170627_130351.jpg20170627_130401.jpg20170627_130511.jpg20170627_131342.jpg

Thank you so much for responding! I did have a question! Why would mine be black? I read the article you sent and similar articles referring to Detritus worms. Most that I have seen are more of like a milky white color. And how did they get in my aquarium? I only have one fish, I've had for almost a year now. As well as a moss ball I've had for about 6 or so months. I'm just curious. They don't seem to be doing any harm, as the articles suggest with Detritus worms. So I'm not overly concerned about it right now.

Do you get drain flies/drain moths/moth flies in your area? They could be larvae. They would still be technically harmless, they would eat the algae, etc. You could feed them to the betta, actually, but an infestation of flies in the tank or your house would be annoying to say the least. It would explain how they got in there, though--tiny fly laying a tiny egg.

And I have no idea how half the harmless little things get into tanks. I have seed shrimp in one of mine. I have no idea where they came from, and the population is pretty tiny and well controlled, but every now and then I see a few and I'm reminded they're in there and I wonder how they got there.

Finding things you didn't get in tanks is normal, all the plants I have are either plastic or grown from seed and I have found snails and larvae a few times, never an annelid so far, may not live in the correct reigeon for them.

I personally wouldn't mind if it was something nice, but snails was a low blow

Planaria....Hydra....much worse.

Maybe fairies is the wrong term. Freakin gremlins.

Back
Top Bottom