Losing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobStark

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a friend who keeps losing fish. He says their eyes bulge then they die. I saw one there that was on its way out and snapped a pic. Anyone seen anything like this. It has a weird condition on its face.
It looks almost like it's skin is dying and hardening around its head.
I don't have a whole lot of info on his tank as I only see the guy rarely. But figured I'd give it a shot on here to see if I could help him diagnose the problem.
Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1464728118747.jpg
    1464728118747.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 1464728133062.jpg
    1464728133062.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 1464728143992.jpg
    1464728143992.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 63
Hi,
Do you know if his tank is "cycled" that is has enough good bacteria to process food and fish waste (VERY IMPORTANT)
Other than that, "popeye" is a fish disease that is treated with gram positive antibiotics. It is caused by streppocacus bacteria.
Maracyn (erythomycin)
Tetracycline
Furan-2

All of these can be found at petsmart
Be careful as the tetracycline will kill your Good bacteria. Hospital tank only with that one.
Im not sure about the problems with their heads, that is pretty unusal. Those rocks look really sharp, im not sure that they are not scraping their heads when bottom feeding and mating/social behavior.

I don't really see any issue with the fish in particulars eyes but the head issue however could probably be an external parasite. If the flesh on the fishes head is slowly rotting away, and if it wasn't caused by injury. Then there is most likely some sort of parasite eating away at its flesh. I'm not 100% sure about this though but i have experienced a similar problem with a rasbora fish one time and the top of its head slowly got eaten away at and eventually what ever it was made a little hole in its head. If it was caused by injury then it may be infected in which case, it may need an anti bacterial remedy like the ones listed by the person before me. furan 2 works well for most people and I have personally seen some nice results from my friends using it on their fish.

I hope this might help.
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you Matt and Tom. I'll relay this my friend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom