Medicating a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Being very new to this I've been doing some reading on what can hurt my new friends. Seems to be quite a bit and has me a bit nervous... So what I'm wondering is, on top of keep up with the tank (cleaning and water changes and such...) is there something I should regularly add to my tank to help keep everyone healthy? Like a vitamin type thing I guess. (Flintstones chewables for fish...lol) Or do I just medicate the tank if there is an issue?

You can actually get vitamins called vita chem. I really don't find it easy to use unless I use frozen food and put it on while the food is thawing. IMO it isn't worth it. There is also something called garlic guard. I haven't tried this because I haven't found it. If i find it and have the extra money I will have to get it just to see if it does anything.

I do know that blackwater extract is good for some fish I use it in my angelfish tanks it does color the water but I like the natural darker color. There is somethng out there called Atison's betta spa and I use that in my betta tanks. I think it does make a difference.

IMO for what it is worth.

Personally, I would never medicate a tank chronically "just in case". Breeders do that to decrease the mortality in overcrowded conditions, but that ends up selecting for resistant bacteria & bugs & we the buyers end up with the problems <sickly fish, diseases that are resistant to treatment.> An example would be salt resistant ich in goldfish because breeders kept their stock in 0.3% salt to "prevent" ich.

So, no .... good clean water is the best IMO. If you want to give the fish vitamins, do it naturally & give them some fresh food <veggies, worms & bugs & the like, depending on your fish.>

I agree, no reason to medicate the tank for prevention. Clean water and regular water changes are the best preventative you can have.

if you feel meds are needed i would recommend a hospital tank so that fish that dont need the meds arent affected and water isnt discolored or anything

Back
Top Bottom