Misdiagnosed disease on Dalmatian Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenjen1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This fish tank is cursed or something. I've had the worst luck and now I missed diagnosed what they had.
I used to have 4 mollies, 4 glo-lite tetras, and a bamboo shrimp in a 10 gal. tank. I know I needed more space for my mollies and was going to get a new tank soon. 2 days after getting my mollies one died while giving birth. She had 9 fishes, and they only lived for like a couple of days. I was noticing that one of my mollies was getting specs and cottony patches and I thought it was ich. I was going to use a heat treatment but he didn't make it through the day. On Saturday I noticed the specs on my other mollies and my tetras were doing just fine. Since I was busy that day, I was going to put my heater the next day. Well on Sunday all my tetras suddenly died. It was weird since the day before they were eating and behaving like usual and just swimming around. Then I noticed that my mollies just had cottony patches.
Monday, my mom and sister found a lotion bottle under the fish tank that was halfway full and we kinda went to a conclusion that someone put lotion in the tank causing the tetras to die and so they did an emergency water change.
I added the heater and gradually increased the heat.
This morning they looked a little better, but I just looked an hour ago and one of my mollies died. I did more research and it points out that there was an outbreak of Columnaris. I decreased the heat and now I am wondering how to treat my tank. I have 3 live plants and a bamboo shrimp and would really appreciate any immediate help.

Also, my fish is looking quite sad, just resting on the bottom of the tank and looks like its breathing heavily.
This is my first fish tank and I feel upset because I had not had them for more than 2 weeks.

I do. When I was thinking of getting the fish tank someone told me how to do the cycling and what to add into it. They never mentioned anything about the diseases.:ermm:

But I mean have you cycled and checked your levels ? Sometimes bad levels and make diseases spark.

Back
Top Bottom