Missing eye!!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcor

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm horrified. I've just noticed one of my month old platy fry has a gaping hole in his head where his eye used to be! The rest of my fish look fabulous, water parameters are excellent (0,0,20). Is this a result of illness or aggression!? What do I do with him? Poor thing, I'm appalled!

Attachments

• image-2987316288.jpg
    image-2987316288.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 140
  • image-2817450162.jpg
    image-2817450162.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 127
  • image-896032780.jpg
    image-896032780.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 137
probably aggression. Just keep the params stable and the water clean and he'll be fine.

probably aggression. Just keep the params stable and the water clean and he'll be fine.

Thanks! I've popped him into my hospital tank for the moment with a bit of melafix. I'd imagine it happened within the past day and I can see right into his skull so really fresh clean water and melafix will hopefully prevent any infection setting in. My poor little guy! :(

I can't find a lot of my fry actually. The younger ones. They aren't that small but seem to have disappeared. Part of me is curiously wondering if something in my tank has developed a taste for baby platies. Yes I've had them eaten before, but only newborns. Never bigger ones. Any ideas what might be happening? I'm beginning to suspect sinister goings on in my tank.

I can't find a lot of my fry actually. The younger ones. They aren't that small but seem to have disappeared. Part of me is curiously wondering if something in my tank has developed a taste for baby platies. Yes I've had them eaten before, but only newborns. Never bigger ones. Any ideas what might be happening? I'm beginning to suspect sinister goings on in my tank.

Is it a fry only tank?
My baby koi will try ( and fail ) to eat each other ( even when they are almost 1" ). When they were younger they would eat each other too. This is not uncommon, fry usually have cannibalism until they get old enough to start swimming fast enough to swim away/defend themselves.

It's my 66g community tank. It's got gouramis and yoyo's and bnp's to name a few. it's the zebra tetras who eat the newborns as soon as they pop out. I have a mama platy due to drop any minute. The plecos are starting to get aggressive with each other, and the yoyo's are up to mischief too. I suspect the yoyo's somehow. Don't know if they are likely culprits or not. They haven't got any snails to eat so might have found something else to sate their appetites?

It's my 66g community tank. It's got gouramis and yoyo's and bnp's to name a few. it's the zebra tetras who eat the newborns as soon as they pop out. I have a mama platy due to drop any minute. The plecos are starting to get aggressive with each other, and the yoyo's are up to mischief too. I suspect the yoyo's somehow. Don't know if they are likely culprits or not. They haven't got any snails to eat so might have found something else to sate their appetites?

All those fish can be culprits. Gourami ( males ) are semi aggressive so maybe them. Tetras will do anything anywhere :lol:. Yoyos might have attacked them, etc, etc.
Are the momma platys in the tank as well?

All those fish can be culprits. Gourami ( males ) are semi aggressive so maybe them. Tetras will do anything anywhere :lol:. Yoyos might have attacked them, etc, etc.
Are the momma platys in the tank as well?

Yeah all together. We've done really well until now. Lots of babies, happy mamas, etc. my gouramis are all female. Might need to feed them more eh? They get food twice a day.

Yeah all together. We've done really well until now. Lots of babies, happy mamas, etc. my gouramis are all female. Might need to feed them more eh? They get food twice a day.

Twice a day is adequate. Any more and there will be excess food everywhere. The moms can be culprits too because they tend to like to eat there fry rather than save them.

I don't think he's gonna make it. :(

Attachments

• image-2987954021.jpg
    image-2987954021.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 131
Ok it might not be the end. I just dropped a couple of pellets in for him and he ate them. His fins aren't clamped. I think it's going to be a week of careful observation and then he can hopefully move back home. Poor thing. But... We have a name for him now. He's Blinky if he's a boy, and Leela if he's a girl.

Ok it might not be the end. I just dropped a couple of pellets in for him and he ate them. His fins aren't clamped. I think it's going to be a week of careful observation and then he can hopefully move back home. Poor thing. But... We have a name for him now. He's Blinky if he's a boy, and Leela if he's a girl.

Hopefully he survives. If he does, he'll be he star of the tank :lol:.

He's looking much better. It's healing beautifully!

Attachments

• image-3341948542.jpg
    image-3341948542.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 104
  • image-614233673.jpg
    image-614233673.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 90
Hopefully in the next few days. I'm just worried as obviously he's at a huge disadvantage now, and I hope he doesn't become prey again. Those loaches could easily sneak up on him. I've not removed them, as there have been no more incidences, but I'm wary of them. In fact, having loved them before, I think I quite hate them right now for what they've done. What used to be amusing antics is now definitely much more aggressive and dangerous.

Hopefully in the next few days. I'm just worried as obviously he's at a huge disadvantage now, and I hope he doesn't become prey again. Those loaches could easily sneak up on him. I've not removed them, as there have been no more incidences, but I'm wary of them. In fact, having loved them before, I think I quite hate them right now for what they've done. What used to be amusing antics is now definitely much more aggressive and dangerous.

Hopefully he heals up nice and those loaches don't bother them again ;). How is the eye now?

He's back in the big tank, has been for a few days now, and he's doing great. No issues, still catching pellets and swimming around. The eye looks good, I won't be able to get another macro shot without moving him back to the qt. thanks for asking!

He's back in the big tank, has been for a few days now, and he's doing great. No issues, still catching pellets and swimming around. The eye looks good, I won't be able to get another macro shot without moving him back to the qt. thanks for asking!

Well, that great that he's doing great and eating :D. Can you get a pic of the whole community tank?
I don't think I've seen your community tank before.

Back
Top Bottom