Mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlover101

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have my favorite Molly down bellow. Her name it Artemis. All aquarists love their fish and I really need help with her! See her tail?? It has some of it gone. At first I found her hanging out by the heater almost rubbing her stomach on it and her tail was in the current of the filter suction. I first thought that it was fin rot but then thought what if it was from nipping from all the other fish. None of my other fish have this fin rot. Just her. Last night I spent the night at my friends house and she was fine when I left. Please help!!! WHAT IS THIS?!?!

image-2397338129.jpg

image-807666759.jpg

image-51786739.jpg

image-2898853173.jpg

image-1334103618.jpg

fin rot doesnt just show symptoms overnight. is the molly swimming fine and what are the other fishes behavior towards it? serious fin nipping can lead to fin rot so watch out for her, maybe move her to another tank to recuperate if you have another one

I have her in a breeder right now... Don't really have another tank. She hide from the other fish in the tank and my friend suspects that maybe I just didn't notice it til now but I know my fish.my male Molly in the tank let her have her first batch( only two fry were saved:() and her doesn't notice her he makes moves on my momma platty. The babies in the tank ride on her back sometimes but other than that no signs of aggression ... Would a plecostomus do something like this???

What are your water parameters? My fish have had something like that in the past and I did water changes. Also watch to see if the other fish are picking on her. Let me know.

a pleco would only suck on a dead fish leaving only a skeleton for you to pick up, it doesn't pick on other fish unless they were really sick, like on the brink of death. as to who was picking on it, there are 2 options, a) the male asserting his dominance or b) the momma one who's just being motherly and trying to keep other fish away from her fry. leave it in the breeding tank until it's strong enough to swim around like the others

No one is seeming to pick on her... My moms fry r big enough to go into the tank with the mom ther r pretty big and strong. Almost a year now

Check out finrot on about.com, they give a good explanation of the problem and fixes. Have you tested your water? They recommend water changes and using salt, but you can't use salt on all fish or planted aquariums.

I don't have live plants in my tank and in my tank I have three female patties and mollies and one make platty and Molly. Some say u can add some salt to those fish... But I have babies in there and a plecostomus... Actually I have 2 female patties... One died

I can't help out much, but one of my mollies was doing the same thing as yours by the heater, just hovering vertically and rubbing against the heater. I thought she was going to drop some fry at first, but nothing happened. She did it for a couple days, and hasnt done it since.

Back
Top Bottom