My goldfish has red marks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish lover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everybody I need some help with my goldfish. When I was looking at him I noticed there are red marks starting from his front fin to the start of his tail. All of the red marks are under scales a little. It looks like he Hurt himself somehow because it looks like dried blood. He is in a 55 gallon fish tank with 4 other goldfish that are smaller, he is the biggest one in the tank. He is also about 4 years old now. I also do my weekly water changes. Ya so I have never seen this before and I hope it isn't serious because I really love all my fish :). O and he is also acting fine, I will look at him more tomorrow. There is also about 3 one dot marks of red, and one spot with 3 closer to his front fin. The scales look like they are missing to.Thanks for the help.

It might be that he scraped himself on something, but we should start with the basics. Can you post a picture? And what are your current pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

How big are your weekly water changes?

Moved to sick fish forum ...

Little blood blisters under the skin can be simple injury, esp. if the scales are missing ... that usu. is a result of him bumping into something sharp.

An external parasite - Costia - may give blood blister under the scales. However, the scales are not missing, and usu. the hemorrhages are under the chin. Occasionally, a bacterial ulcer might look like a red spot as well.

If the spots are not spreading & the fish appears fine, I would just observe for now. Clean water & maybe a bit of salt will do wonders to minor injuries.

Thanks for the replies. I actually went to petsmart and he has a hemorrhagic septicemia. I am treating him now with triple sulfa. Hopefully it works.

Hemorrhagic septicemia? Hmmm...any idea why? Adding drugs without finding out the cause and correcting the cause will not go well.

If it was brought on by poor water quality, you need to know this. Do you have a test kit? Ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate... those numbers are very important.

I have checked it and I think I got it so 40$ dollars later I saved 4 out of the 5 fish :(. It wasn't the one I was talking about either. Well hopefully he does good in the big fish tank in the sky :(.

Back
Top Bottom