My Male Blue Ram - Sick - Looking for Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
My large male Blue Ram whos been with me for about 2 1/2 years now is having problems swimming, he's been this way for almost a week now. He appears to have some type of issue where he cannot swim straight so he stays hidden at the bottom of the tank except for feeding time. When I feed the tank he tries so hard to eat but can't seem to manipulate his body correctly in order to do so. Sometimes he sort of lies up against a plant on his back and I will put fish right over his head and he gets it this way. He does try so hard to push himself toward the food in order to get it and it just breaks my heart. I never thought that I could be so affected by a fish as I am with him.

He lives in a 29 gallon planted tank with CO2 injection with macro and micro ferts dosed on alternate days. I have an XP2 filter on this tank with flourite subtrate. All my parameters seem to be in order, 0 nitrite, 0 amonia, nitrate 10, PH 6.4. This tank has been up and running for about 3 years now.

I do have some mild black brush algea but I've been dealing with his for a while now, ever since I moved to a different city and the water changed, about a year ago.

Lets see, I think I've covered everything. Oh the lighting is a dual 2 x 65 watt satelitte but I have only been using one light (65 watts) for a good while now.

If I've missed something please let me know. I'm not sure there's anything I can do for this boy, I've also been dosing Melafix and Primafix to the tank since he's been sick. I dose for 5 days and then do a 30% water change, as instructed on the bottles. I normally do a 50% water change weekly.

Oh I forgot about other fish in tank. One female Blue Ram and another male Blue Ram. These two fish are a lot younger then the sick male. Although the sick male and the smaller female seemed to have hooked up before he got sick. The male previous partner died a while ago. There's also a pair of Apistos, Orange Flash who live in a coconut hut in the tank. These two apistos and the sick male blue ram have been living together in this tank for a long time now without any problems. They have there own areas. There are also 3 Glo-Lite Tetras and 3 Ottos in this tank.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Linda

Last edited:
I would first recommend feeding a frozen pea. Nuke the pea for a few seconds, peel and cut or mush into bite size portions. This will help if he is constipated and can help with some swim bladder issues. Swim bladder is what it sounds like to me. His scales aren't sticking out are they?

If you can QT him and also add some epsom salts, as I am not sure if the plants will appreciate epsom salt. What's in your 10 gal for fish?

Back
Top Bottom