my severum is sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bocj92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a gold severum he has a couole of spots that look like pimples with a red ring around them i tryed melafix, pemafix i dont no wut it is hes been like this for months any advice would be appreciated

Hi! Welcome to AA.
Can you answer some questions?
What size tank?
What tank mates?
What are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the tank?
How often and how much water do you change?
How long have you had the fish?
Has anything in the tank been changed resently? New fish, new filter media, etc?
Can you post a picture?

ok the ph is 6.0 the amonia is 8 the nitrate is 80 its a 28 gallon hexagon with 2 goldfish that are pritty big 5 and 4 inches a oscer and that severum they all seem to get along nothing new in the tank i do like a 75 to 80% water change a every week I've had the fish for like a 7 months except the goldfish i had them for over a year

Sounds to me that the weekly PWC of 75% are not enough, in other words your fish are experiencing ammonia poisoning, which will drastically reduce their life or kill them.

The fish that you have are to big for a 28G tank, the ideal suggestion is to re-home the majority of them and to keep one maximum two. But the short term suggestion is to do daily water changes, you need to aim to try to get the ammonia level to 0.25 ppm or less.

bocj92 said:
ok the ph is 6.0 the amonia is 8 the nitrate is 80 its a 28 gallon hexagon with 2 goldfish that are pritty big 5 and 4 inches a oscer and that severum they all seem to get along nothing new in the tank i do like a 75 to 80% water change a every week I've had the fish for like a 7 months except the goldfish i had them for over a year

Well there's your problem! Ammonia and nitrite should be 0 and nitrate should be under 20ppm. Lots and lots of large water changes. As said above, you need to rehome or upgrade tanks ASAP.
2 goldfish need a 30g tank minimum (fancy goldfish) pond goldfish need 50g EACH.
The Oscar needs a 75g to himself
And the severum I'm not 100% sure of but I know it needs larger then 28g.
You have severe water quality issues that will only be resolved if you find larger tanks for those fish. In the mean time very large daily water changes and see if the ammonia reduces and the severum improves.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html
Please read this.

im doing more water changes now an the amonia is 6.6

ForumRunner_20120312_191925.jpg

ejaramillo01 said:
How are you reading the ammonia? 6.6 ???

Im surprised with ammonia that high that all your fish aren't dead. When was the last time you did a wc?

You really need to get a much larger tank, or a few larger tanks.

If you are American Petco often does $1 a gallon sales.

Good water quality will probably solve most of your issues.

Good Luck!!

wut about jus the oscer and severum in the 28 they r like the same size is that to much fish

darkmatter_3500 said:
Both of those fish are too big, maybe the goldfish will work.

+1 IF they are fancy goldfish they will be fine in the 28g BUT if they are commons, koi, commets (including feeder fish) need a pong or 50g each fish.

Neither the severum or the Oscar are suitable for that tank. The Oscar needs 75g for itself. So to keep both you'll need a 100-125g tank minimum.

I dont know how big the oscar and sev are that you have but they are really cool fish, if they are still small maybe you have a little time to find a larger tank if you want to keep them, but from your water paramiters it looks like too much fish in the 28 gal. Maybe removing the goldfish will help for now. I tried to keep a oscar in a small aquarium before I knew much about fish and it did not work too well but that is what got me hooked on this hobby and im still learning more every day :)

they r like 4 or 5 inches i have a 125 gallon with a 50gal sump but i gotta build the stand cause i dont have the money to buy one

A 125 would be perfect, if you want the oscar and sev they might be alright wiithout the goldfish for a little while if you really keep up the waterchanges and u can use prime to help with the high ammonia and nitrite, use the instructions for it. Maybe the goldfish can go in a goldfish bowl or something in the meantime, I have never kept goldfish but I have heard that they produce alot of ammonia so watch out for that. You can use cinder blocks or build a stand pretty cheap for a 125 if you need to.

No goldfish bowl!!! Please don't do that! They are death traps! A full grown fancy goldfish can be almost the same size as an adult Oscar. Pond goldfish can reach 2 foot long. Rehome them or give them to your LFS.

Mumma.of.two said:
No goldfish bowl!!! Please don't do that! They are death traps! A full grown fancy goldfish can be almost the same size as an adult Oscar. Pond goldfish can reach 2 foot long. Rehome them or give them to your LFS.

Thanks for clarifying that, I was not sure about it because I do not Know much about goldfish, I was thinking he could maybe use a bowl or something until he had his 125 running.

Back
Top Bottom