Mystery Snail Shell Holes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DizzCat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I didn't know where else to put this. Not a sick fish, but concerned about my snail. I have a nice big Apple (Mystery) Snail and when I got him he had a few small pits in his shell. Well, lately I have noticed he is getting a lot more. They are small and most of the new ones are around the end swirl of his shell. None go all the way thru (yet). I know he is missing calcium, but anyone know how to get that in his diet?

The tank he is in is a planted community tank. It has CO2 added to it, pH is very low at 7.0 and the water is soft. I want to help him, but don't want to add anything that will mess up the perfect conditions of the tank. All my plants are huge and lush. My Bolivian Rams spawn all the time, along with my Tetras and Danios.

Anyone have any ideas? Here is a picture of "Charlie" when I first got him. There are more holes on him now, but they are small so far. Can't get a new picture yet, daughter has the camera.
img_996931_0_b9e54fd09b3b1e3d463d270e286ca4c9.jpg

it needs more calcium. i feed mine food from kensfish.com that has 30% calcium in it. you can also add cuttlebone to get more calcium into the water.

Hmmm......... That got me thinking. I have only noticed them since I switched from a flake food to a crisp food. Maybe the flake food had more calcium in it and that got in the water??

I would suggest getting calcium in there quick. You have many options. A 3 or 7 day feeder, coral sand, liquid snail milk etc. But don't delay too long as this damage is not reversable. Some diets (e.g. crab cuisine) also contain calcium.

I don't like coral sand at all. I had some once when I set up an African tank and hated it. I will go to the lfs today and see what she recommends. Thanks.

A 3 or 7 day feeder or liquid calcium will work just as well. Anything with calcium. You don't have to use the coral sand as yoyur substrate either, just scatter a little around. They don't need much.

Well there are easily a dozen options there; I am sure one of them is better than slowly killing the snails. I have used all of them at one time or another and not noticed any problems. The feeders might create some dust but nothing beyond the capacity of a good filter to deal with. The don't really contain much more food than two snails could eat by themselves.

I got a cuttle bone and put it in for him. The guy at the lfs said he will munch on it. Think that will be enough? Do the holes grow back or just stay like that? Thanks for all the help!

The cuttlebone should do it--if you want to be sure you could add a little coral sand in a media bag to your filter. Snail both directly ingest calcium and they can also absorb it from the water. The shell will strengthen on the underside but the holes on the surface are perminant.

Back
Top Bottom