Neon with black stripe...fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettagirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My daughter's betta died a few days ago, I think because of a bacterial lump that developed just behind his gills and killed him in one day. It's been very hot this week, and the tank has been around 86 degrees. I put in bags of ice to help keep it cool, but unfortunately it did not save Ruby.

I did a partial water change, but now the cardinal neons in the same tank (6 gallon eclipse) look sick. They are hanging at the bottom and one has a black stripe on one side. Is this a fungus/bacterial infection? I put in some anti-bacterial medication. Will this help? I've had tanks for 15 years and have never seen this before!

Thanks for any help and advice.

Whats your parameters (ammonia/nitrite)? Anti bacterials have a nasty habit of killing off the good nitrifying bacteria as well as the ones infecting the fish. Once thats gone ammonia and nitrites can sky rocket, making things worse.

I agree with the water change. Clean fresh water (as long as its the same temp, Ph and is dechlorinated) is a very good thing.

Thanks Allivymar for your help! I'm taking in a water sample tomorrow to be tested. As the betta died so quickly, I thought it was best to medicate as soon as I saw the black stripe on the neon. But, I can't find any info as to what it might be...?? It looks to be internal. At this time, the black stripe has started to break up into smaller spots. This is surely a good sign!

This poor tank has gone through too many changes this past few weeks. We moved three weeks ago, removing 75%+ of the water. The plants were removed a few days ago as the lights were staying off to help keep the temperature down. After we cure this mysterious ailment, the tank is moving to the cooler basement and the plants will go back in. I'm sure the heat & loss of plants caused the fish to stress and brought on whatever this black death is.

Well, whatever this is, it killed three more neons this morning. The last neon and loach are looking poor. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Well, whatever this is, it killed three more neons this morning. The last neon and loach are looking poor. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Im sorry bettagirl :(

Just out of curiosity, are the red stripes disappearing? There is something called Neon Tetra Disease with is pretty deadly and thats a sign.

Taken from fish-diseases.com: "Pleistophora is also called Neon Tetra Disease because of its high prevalence among Neon Tetras, although it has also been reported to infect most Characins, Cichlids, Cyprinids (i.e., danios), and all the carp-like fishes. It is characterized by a loss of coloration and pale, white patches of skin, particularly the strip of skin beneath the dorsal fin. Other symptoms may include spinal curvature, emaciation, fin deterioration and erratic swimming behavior."

It generally doesn't hit loaches tho. I'd keep up those water changes in case its toxin based (ammonia/nitrite). Chance are your tank is cycling. The nitrifying bacteria don't live in the water, they live on surfaces like the filter n walls. You may have drastically reduced the colony when you moved. That combined with the antibiotics may have done it in, causing high ammonia/nitrite levels. Both are deadly. I strongly recommend getting those levels tested asap.

Changes in water temp also stress the heck out of fish (which can lead to disease). Better to have a highish temp then to drop it quickly. You're guys have had a rough time :( for future reference, if the tank temps really spike, blow a fan over the water. It'll cool it down, but not too quickly (remember evaporation and cooling from school? LOL neither do I, but I looked it up).

oops, sorry for the double post! :oops:

Allivymar, thank you for all your help with trying to diagnose this. I wondered about the neon tetra disease, but they haven't really lost any of their coloring. The fish store is equally at a loss.

After a larger 75% tank change, they seem to be fairing better. I also added both Maracyn and Maracyn-two... the general consenses seems to be that it's some kind of bacterial infection. The loach is looking better, the poor neon isn't black but looking way stressed. poor guy lost all his buddies and his whole environment basically changed today. Hope he makes it...I'm really wanting to save just one!

Thanks again for your help. We'll just wait to see what happens.

Oh, and thanks for the cooling idea! We set up a small fan with the lid off and it's worked to reduce the temp 4 degrees!

Back
Top Bottom