New Arrowhead puffer seems ill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

utty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I purchased a freshwater puffer off of eBay a little over a week ago. Details of the situation are below. I asked the seller the other day what he fed this puffer and he told me he fed it rosy red minnows. This sort of worried me. Since I got him I have been feeding him baby crayfish, guppy and red worms (wigglers) all from my own supply. Overall he seems to have adjusted well. However I have noticed that he's lost a little weight and he has some sort of slime coat or something on his belly. It's hard to describe. It's like the sand he is in clings to him in what looks like slime hanging from his belly. He is becoming more withdrawn. The only thing he will eat now is the crayfish.
I would hate to lose this guy. If you have any suggestions please let me know ASAP.
Thankyou

1~The fish I am writing about is an arrowhead puffer fish.
2~My tank perimeters are nearly perfect. zero ammonia, zero nitrites, 20 nitrates.
3~ The tank is a 20 gallon. Has been set up for over a year.
4~Fluval 2 plus. Also a DIY moving bed filter and two bubblers.
5~There is one 3 inch puffer.
6~I did a water change yesterday. I change 10% to 30% each week.
7~I have had this puffer for about a week and a half. I bought him on eBay. I slowly acclimated him.
8~I have added nothing new to the tank.
9~red worms, baby crayfish, guppies.

Hello utty. I'm glad you posted about your concern. There's a few things you should do for this arrowhead puffer. First, try to do more of a water change every week. 50% is a good target range. Arrowheads release a lot of waste. These fish poop in the sand, so be sure to gravel vac the sand every week while you're doing the longer water changes.

You will need to change the diet for your arrowhead. You should be feeding crustaceans only. No fish because its hard on their kidney, and your arrowhead will develop kidney problems and die sooner if you keep feeding fish. Worms are ok, but it shouldn't be their main staple. Try to get your arrowhead to eat dead food (raw seafood at grocery store). Best to use feeding tongs such as Amazon.com: Zoo Med Stainless Steel Feeding Tongs, 10-Inch: Pet Supplies

Use the tongs to hold food (lets say your using thawed raw shrimp). Hold it in front of his face. It might take him a few starving days to figure out that you're holding food.

For a 3inch arrowhead, you should be feeding every other day. Daily feedings will make your arrowhead overweight. Feeding your puff too much per meal is also not good for their healthy. Both factors will result in premature death.

Now lets try to address the slime. Could you take a picture of the slime?

Hi Terrance,

Thank you so much for getting back to me. Your advice was very informative and helpful. I will be getting him some raw shrimp today and try that out. Are the freshwater crayfish okay? I will do my best to get a picture but it's not an easy thing to get. He's hiding more and this concerns me. From what I read online I am *guessing* he has a fungal infection for which I read that Maroxy was a good cure?? I am eager to treat him soon.

Again thank you.

Crayfish = crustacean
Its a good food source. Many people like to soak the raw seafood in vitamin water such as Aquarium Fish Vitamins & Supplements: Vita-Chem Marine & Freshwater. Its cheap insurance for your fish to get all of its vitamins.

Suvatti in general are lurkers. They hide and wait for their prey. Maybe natural instincts starting to kick in? You were feeding live food.

I'm least knowledgeable when it comes to treating puffer infections.

Back
Top Bottom