New Filter - too much flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahsunshine

Aquarium Advice Activist
Background:
I just set up my new Eheim 2213 on my 20g tank. I set it up according to he instructions. I also emptied a bucket of aquarium water and used that to rinse off the filter, and get it primed and checked and ran it for 5 minutes or so in the bucket. I think I did everything right. Then I moved it to the Aquarium. I've left the HOB AT 5-15 to help with seeding. My nitrites were at 0.3ish before the 50% change, so I assume they are at 0.1ish now (haven't checked yet - was going to tonight).

Questions:
I have 2 Ryukin and a small goldfish (each about 1.5"). Since I set the filter up, they've been swimming around really fast. One Ryukin is hanging out at the surface periodically, and the other is constantly going up and down in the bubbles. Is this normal? Is the flow too high (it seems like there's a lot of flow and TONS of bubbles)? Would it be OK (enough O2) to aim the water at the glass to reduce the flow? Will the flow be too much for the other fish I plan to put in this aquarium (neons, kuhli loaches, gourami)? Is there anything I should watch out for other than a mini cycle?

Back
Top Bottom