new guppies acting strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barakis

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok so just a quick one. today i brought home 3 guppies and so far they haven't moved from the top of the water, they are just grouped together at the surface.

both the guppy and the pleco i bought where introduced very slowly over about an hour, and the PH and temp are the same as my LFS.

is this normal? do they just need to settle down? or should i be worried about something?

thanks in advance :)

What are your levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Has the tank Been cycled?

Do the guppies appear to be grasping for air? If so, i think this is an oxygen problem and more oxygen is needed in the water

What are your levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Has the tank Been cycled?

Do the guppies appear to be grasping for air? If so, i think this is an oxygen problem and more oxygen is needed in the water

should have added, tank is already home to 11 neons and 2 molly, they are perfectly fine. and my tank is cycled, have a slight amonia reading atm (sub .25) but nothing major, and everything else is fine.

i have a filter running at about 200L/H for a 65L tank, so plenty of aeration.

Barakis said:
should have added, tank is already home to 11 neons and 2 molly, they are perfectly fine. and my tank is cycled, have a slight amonia reading atm (sub .25) but nothing major, and everything else is fine.

i have a filter running at about 200L/H for a 65L tank, so plenty of aeration.

So they don't appear to be grasping?

So they don't appear to be grasping?

just watched them for a little while, they did come down into the water shortly. they are not literally on the surface, definitely not grasping, they are just holding in a group very close to the surface.

if you imagine them floating perfectly level, with the tips of the tail not quite at the surface, and not breaking the surface at all.

Anyone else our their help? Lol I have increased the flow on the filter just incase but they're not gulping or anythubg, just sitting close to the surface in a group.

They could just be adjusting to the current in your tank. Give them a few hours. If your parameters are good then they just have to finish getting acclimated.

They went in about 28 hours ago, ill just sit tight for a couple days. The filter is running fairly high for aeration.

Picture is hoow they have been since I got them, although they're not as grouped up as they where, and I've seen them venture deeper a couple of times

Sorry for so.many posts. First new fish for a while and I'm slightly paranoid

ForumRunner_20120507_224641.jpg

Barakis said:
Picture is hoow they have been since I got them, although they're not as grouped up as they where, and I've seen them venture deeper a couple of times

Sorry for so.many posts. First new fish for a while and I'm slightly paranoid

Don't worry about them too much. I didn't realize you just added them only a couple days ago. Give it some time and they'll acclimate

Just make sure they don't try to eat all the food. The last thing you want is them stress-eating to death. But a healthy appetite should be expected!!

Stress-eating to death? That's a new one to me.

I just added several guppies into several tanks and noticed the same behavior in some of the tanks, primarily the ones that were already occupied. I'd just keep an eye on it but don't worry unless you see them gasping or acting sickly.

jetajockey said:
Stress-eating to death? That's a new one to me.

I just added several guppies into several tanks and noticed the same behavior in some of the tanks, primarily the ones that were already occupied. I'd just keep an eye on it but don't worry unless you see them gasping or acting sickly.

Ok so I fed them yesterday, definitely got an appetite lol. They seem to have settled now, swimming around the glass with each other, and finally interacting with the tankmates a bit. They still go straight back up to he top when I appear, but I think that's a given since I had to disturb them on day 1 to feed my new pleco.

I think I can safely say case closed, thanks for all your reassurance.

Back
Top Bottom