Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2021, 08:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New plastic plants killed my fish?

Hi - my first post even though I've had a goldfish tank for 20 years. I changed the plastic plants yesterday for the first time. The new ones acquired lots of bubbles and floated to the surface. This morning 1 of the 2 fish has died. Is this a concidence? What was the likely cause and what should I do differently?

Old 01-16-2021, 08:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did you do anything else to the tank (change water, add anything else)? Did you wash the new plastic plants in hot water or do anything to sterilize them? I would do a 50% water change right now and tomorrow just to be safe. Add your de chlorinator too. I can't think of anything in the water that a test kit would show, unless you changed water when the plants were put in.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwonder View Post
Did you do anything else to the tank (change water, add anything else)? Did you wash the new plastic plants in hot water or do anything to sterilize them? I would do a 50% water change right now and tomorrow just to be safe. Add your de chlorinator too. I can't think of anything in the water that a test kit would show, unless you changed water when the plants were put in.
I did nothing to the new plants because there were no instructions to (any maybe that's the issue), unless one fish swallowed a tiny bit of loose plastic? The other fish is perfectly OK. I've removed the plants and done a 50% water change. I've washed one of the plants in hot soapy water and thoroughly rinsed it before putting it back - it's now gathering fewer bubbles and is less buoyant. But wanted to see what others think before progressing further.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you have to push the plants dont into the substrate?
Old 01-16-2021, 09:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Did you have to push the plants dont into the substrate?
no, they came ready attached to a base
Old 01-16-2021, 09:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza280 View Post
I did nothing to the new plants because there were no instructions to (any maybe that's the issue), unless one fish swallowed a tiny bit of loose plastic? The other fish is perfectly OK. I've removed the plants and done a 50% water change. I've washed one of the plants in hot soapy water and thoroughly rinsed it before putting it back - it's now gathering fewer bubbles and is less buoyant. But wanted to see what others think before progressing further.
Well who knows what is on plastic these days when new. Washing everything when new is a good idea. Since you now have washed the plants, all we can say is just keep an eye on the fish. Good luck.

Tags
fish, led, plant, plants, plastic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com