Nooooo!!!! Ickkkk!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WHOA!! Half spots gone overnight! I will increase heat to 88 today and keep there for a week, right??
I feel like I'm boiling my fish!!! :-/

Oh no! Not more problems for you. Hopefully everyone will be good this time. They may just think they're on holidays!

maestromad said:
Oh no! Not more problems for you. Hopefully everyone will be good this time. They may just think they're on holidays!

Ya kind of a rotating mess, isn't it?! There are moments where it's hard to stay positive, but then I have moments like I did this morning: I rushed to the tank to look at my roasting fishies and my betta flew to the glass waving at me looking all happy ... Everyone else was still "asleep"... But she looked so thrilled I came over to talk to her...

every fish I've ever gotten from petsmart has been a carrier of Ich... (and my qt practices weren't the best due to inexperience but I guarantee they are better now!) I've had 3 bouts with it over the last few months and the best cure by far i've found is heat. Just make sure you keep the heat up for a few days after you see the last signs of infection (I will keep it up for a week longer).

skywhitney said:
every fish I've ever gotten from petsmart has been a carrier of Ich... (and my qt practices weren't the best due to inexperience but I guarantee they are better now!) I've had 3 bouts with it over the last few months and the best cure by far i've found is heat. Just make sure you keep the heat up for a few days after you see the last signs of infection (I will keep it up for a week longer).

I've been lucky in some ways that I hadn't had Ich until now from Petsmart... I did however get Camallanus... And something horrible once from a Petco fish... I think it all depends on the store, but I do believe I'm very close to ordering online from a reputable breeder only... I didn't used to want to because I didn't want to pay shipping, but when I add in the costs of various medications, etc I've had over the last few months, the shipping would have been cheaper!!

I've been lucky in some ways that I hadn't had Ich until now from Petsmart... I did however get Camallanus... And something horrible once from a Petco fish... I think it all depends on the store, but I do believe I'm very close to ordering online from a reputable breeder only... I didn't used to want to because I didn't want to pay shipping, but when I add in the costs of various medications, etc I've had over the last few months, the shipping would have been cheaper!!
I completely understand! I think i'm starting to lean that way myself. I'm tired of the stress that fighting this has caused (and having so many tanks on my kitchen counter), I just want to have some nice healthy fish who are nice and happy :fish1:

skywhitney said:
I completely understand! I think i'm starting to lean that way myself. I'm tired of the stress that fighting this has caused (and having so many tanks on my kitchen counter), I just want to have some nice healthy fish who are nice and happy :fish1:

So hear you.. Occasionally I want to stop breeding, but then I look at these tiny little ones and am in it again..
Hey at the end of my escapades in a few years when everyones gone from old age I'm going to have one happy betta in a 29g. LOL

So hear you.. Occasionally I want to stop breeding, but then I look at these tiny little ones and am in it again..
Hey at the end of my escapades in a few years when everyones gone from old age I'm going to have one happy betta in a 29g. LOL
haha very true! although if you keep breeding then you'll always have a steady supply of new guys to keep your betta company...

Last edited:
ocminpin said:

Lol
Hang in there! I know its one thing after another but will level out eventually. :)
I just had ick in my 26gal, only one fish had it though. I just turned up the temp(found out that my heater didn't work, whole nother problem) and did a lot of pwc's after a week the spots were gone. Still doing heat and pwc this week just in case. Good luck! :)

Starka said:
Lol
Hang in there! I know its one thing after another but will level out eventually. :)
I just had ick in my 26gal, only one fish had it though. I just turned up the temp(found out that my heater didn't work, whole nother problem) and did a lot of pwc's after a week the spots were gone. Still doing heat and pwc this week just in case. Good luck! :)

AHHHH hahaha... My heater isn't going past 86 even tho it's rated for 88... I ordered another on eBay with a rating up to 92! 150w-- $10.71 from a seller with 99.2% rating. I think I'm going to stock up..

Thank you!!

I know how you feel about the fish. The only ones I haven't had an issue with (other than when I disnt understand about checking water etc) are the ones I've had as babies from a friend. I managed to source a pretty close (20mile) breeder of Vienna bottom sword guppies they are SO pretty so I'm waiting fr his next batch of males to fill the gap my adult guppy left

I've seen good results fighting Ich at 86 :). its hard to believe but it's true that Ich gets a lot worse before it gets better. Hang tough and you'll get through it!

skywhitney said:
I've seen good results fighting Ich at 86 :). its hard to believe but it's true that Ich gets a lot worse before it gets better. Hang tough and you'll get through it!

Shhh... I needed a new heater anyway... ;-) heehee...
I need a few more but just bought one to start with :) who can beat the price with FREE shipping?

I know the feeling! I got a Fluval E300 for $30 with free shipping when i started the build on my 60g...then I added a fluval M300 as well :)

Just now put my hand in the tank and everyone came up rubbing and nibbling on my fingers.
Also upon this careful inspection I see 4/5 of my Mollies are pregnant.
My Betta is quite active and taking turns chasing the Mollies... the heat has made her a lil feisty...

ocminpin said:
Just now put my hand in the tank and everyone came up rubbing and nibbling on my fingers.
Also upon this careful inspection I see 4/5 of my Mollies are pregnant.
My Betta is quite active and taking turns chasing the Mollies... the heat has made her a lil feisty...

Well at least they arent stressing! Thats good :)

Back
Top Bottom