odd behavior in black moor.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eagleeye3646

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my new black moor stays at bottom of the tank and doesn't move, looks dead until you tap tank or try to net him. is he sick or hurt?

Hi there! First, we need to know a bit more about the tank he's in.
How may gallons is it?
When was the last water change, and how much was changed?
Do you have a test kit? What are the readings of
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

Are there any other fish in the tank?

T
If you answer these, we'll better be able to help you

In the tak

Sorry, it is a 35 gallon, changed 1/3 tank 3 days and then put the black moor, and freshwater angel fish. i don't have a test kit but the angel fish is fine and i have the temperature at 75 degrees Fairinhiet.

These are my suggestions.

Your tank is large enough for the moor. It's also large enough for the angelfish.

But not together. Goldfish and tropicals shouldn't be in the same tank. You need to decide whether you want this to be a goldfish tank, or a tropical FW tank.

Since you've just started your tank, it is cycling now with the fish in it. You'll need to test your water chemistry frequently to make sure the fish are not being affected by ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Test results that are too high mean you need todo water changes. You can't necessarily put the tank on a water change schedule while it's cycling.

You need a good test kit - the API Master Test Kit is one of the best.

How did you acclimate the moor? Moors are very sensitive to their water conditions and I suspect he is unwell from improper acclimation combined with toxins in an uncycled tank. Having a test kit will be a must here. As its already been mentioned, you will need to decide if you want a coldwater tank or a tropical tank. Heres some more info on goldfish and their care as well as fish-in cycling-please ask if you have any questions!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

thanks, that makes sense, i will try and get a test kit and figure out the fish situation. thankyou for the help! :)

On amazon can prolly find for about $20, at petco/smart about $26. I would say go to petco/smart and get it ASAP tho, because unless you cycled your tank then there are gonna be quite a few toxins. It sounds like it's prolly not cycled, how long have you had it? (Running it empty isn't cycling if you didn't know. Bacteria need ammonia to eat and multiply)
As far as the fish, a black moor might be able to adjust to the temp.....but will not be healthy or happy. Definitely should choose warm or cold water fish, because while some might survive at the temp for the other, they will not be happy fish.

On amazon can prolly find for about $20, at petco/smart about $26. I would say go to petco/smart and get it ASAP tho, because unless you cycled your tank then there are gonna be quite a few toxins. It sounds like it's prolly not cycled, how long have you had it? (Running it empty isn't cycling if you didn't know. Bacteria need ammonia to eat and multiply)
As far as the fish, a black moor might be able to adjust to the temp.....but will not be healthy or happy. Definitely should choose warm or cold water fish, because while some might survive at the temp for the other, they will not be happy fish.

Btw that's for the API master test kit, which is what most of us use. They have separate mini kits for each test that you can use to replace each as you use them

ok, well there were fish in it right up until i got these there were like 20 feeder goldfish, i will try and get a test kit and i will right down the type. today he is doing much better after lowering the temp, he looks happy and is doing what fish do. thanks for the advise will defiantly try to get test kit.

Back
Top Bottom