Parasites in my Rainbows and Angels -salt and medicine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeneequa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been trying to cure my sick fish of internal parasites. My fish have both long stringy white poop and a few have red thread things I believe are described as cammelanus worms. The Angels that have these are still eating and I have ordered a medicated food from angelsplus.com on the advice of someone here (thanks!) I cannot visibly see red strings on the rainbows, but they have long white poop and are looking terrible, and 3 of 5 are not eating. I tried Tetra parasite guard to no avail so have moved on to plain metronidazole as per recommended by local fish store. I also increased temperature and added salt to the tank. The guy at the fish store said I should not add salt while medicating the tank... Has anybody heard that as well? are they somehow contraindicated? I want to do everything possible to kill the parasites and have been told they cannot live in a salty environment. Does anybody know if white poop is a sign of cammelanus worms or might my fish have 2 different parasites?

I have been trying to cure my sick fish of internal parasites. My fish have both long stringy white poop and a few have red thread things I believe are described as cammelanus worms. The Angels that have these are still eating and I have ordered a medicated food from angelsplus.com on the advice of someone here (thanks!) I cannot visibly see red strings on the rainbows, but they have long white poop and are looking terrible, and 3 of 5 are not eating. I tried Tetra parasite guard to no avail so have moved on to plain metronidazole as per recommended by local fish store. I also increased temperature and added salt to the tank. The guy at the fish store said I should not add salt while medicating the tank... Has anybody heard that as well? are they somehow contraindicated? I want to do everything possible to kill the parasites and have been told they cannot live in a salty environment. Does anybody know if white poop is a sign of cammelanus worms or might my fish have 2 different parasites?
Maybe two different ones... If the rainbows are not eating, these will be hard to cure, the best treatment is the medicated food, you need to move fast with the Angels, in my experience, once they stop to eat, they chances of survival is low.

ejaramillo01 said:
Maybe two different ones... If the rainbows are not eating, these will be hard to cure, the best treatment is the medicated food, you need to move fast with the Angels, in my experience, once they stop to eat, they chances of survival is low.

I can tell you from experience you need to get Levamisole. Its a goat dewormer. It works great! Gone in one day. Check eBay.

Back
Top Bottom