Platies with Split Fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJurgelewicz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 platies that have fins that are split. One of them has a split tail fin. The other has a split tail fin and dorsal fin. They are acting completely normal and this does not appear to be affecting their swimming. Its almost as if they were perfectly cut, as the split is very smooth, not like it was torn or anything.

What does this mean and how can I prevent it in the future? Also will it heal?

It is a 26 Gallon, still cycling. There are 4 platies and there was a Rainbow Shark in the tank. There is 1 decoration and 3 fake plants in the tank, mostly just open. I was planning on adding more decor once they cycle completed, but this has not happened yet.

It could be from the stress of being in a toxic environment. Are your plants plastic? Plastic plants have very sharp edges that can cut through finnage.

Clean water is your fish's best friend to repair torn fins.

There are plastic plants in there, but they have been in there since the start. The fins splits just showed up the past few days.

I am working on keeping the water as clean as possible.

I'd say that's from your rainbow shark. Mine splits the fins of bettas and gouramis just like that.

Also your tank is too small for a rainbow shark.

If you didn't notice the problem until after the shark was gone, I'm still placing a vote for the plastic plants. :D

He was in there when I noticed it, but I am not ruling out the plastic plants. Eventually I will do live plants, but im still new to all of this.

There are loads of really lovely faux plants that are not made of plastic and don't have any sharp edges to worry about. Quite often, I do a combo live/faux planted tank.

Back
Top Bottom