Platy disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emmy_helen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have lost 3 platys at different times to a strange sickness. Their back started curving, but they were still lively and active. However, as their spine started looking more curved, they became less lively. This lasted probably a month or so. They eventually just became very lethargic and passed away. I was really sad about it, because some of them I have had for a year and I was pretty attached to them.

I didn't test the ammonia levels when they were sick. After the third one died, I started testing the water. The ammonia was 0 and ph was 7.2.

I had never tested the water before because the pet store people told me it wasn't necessary. However, now I know I can't really trust the pet store because they told me I could add 6 fish to a 10 gallon after only running the tank for 3 days. Well, it was a disaster. Now I know the tank should have been cycling for a month and 6 fish added at the same time would cause a huge ammonia spike. Also, that's when the first two platys got the spine curving problem.

Strangely, though, the last platy that died had it when the tank was cycled for a year (however, I hadn't started testing the water yet) so I'm not sure why he got it.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Any ideas of why the died would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to lose anymore of them!

Hi, possibly genetic if there was nothing else wrong with them. Were they all the same batch from the store? I do find they can get spine curvature when quite old but not sure that would apply to yours.

Yes, now that I think about it, the 3 platies were from the same store. I have another platy now, which I bought from a different store. She is very healthy and happy. So genetics must be the problem. Thank you for helping me figure this out!

Sounds promising. Fingers crossed all goes well. I guess just post back if anything comes up or someone else may know more.

Yes, now that I think about it, the 3 platies were from the same store. I have another platy now, which I bought from a different store. She is very healthy and happy. So genetics must be the problem. Thank you for helping me figure this out!
It is called fish tuberlosis, genetics play a role in natural immunity, but just adding more fish may make them sick as well
There is no cure but to take the tank down and bleach it all, filters, heaters lid, everything

Back
Top Bottom