Platy females

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper92

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a 20 planted with what was 6 adult fish and 1 fry. Oddly all the females are sick, spastic and dying. Any idea what it may be? None of the fish are beat up or abused so its not due to aggressive males.

Fishkeeper92 said:
Have a 20 planted with what was 6 adult fish and 1 fry. Oddly all the females are sick, spastic and dying. Any idea what it may be? None of the fish are beat up or abused so its not due to aggressive males.

What are your water parameters? Any thing recently done to the tank?

I checked this morning it was 6.7 ph 0ppm ammonia 0ppm trite and trates. I havent done anything major, just basic water changes and took one of the air stones out to wash it off, make sure its clean and working.

Fishkeeper92 said:
I checked this morning it was 6.7 ph 0ppm ammonia 0ppm trite and trates. I havent done anything major, just basic water changes and took one of the air stones out to wash it off, make sure its clean and working.

Are you sure there is no nitrAtes? Unless it is heavily planted you should have some level of NO3.

Did a partial water change, added some salt to help fight disease. Retested the water, 6.6 ph seems to have a small amount of ammonia, probably do another water change tomorrow, no nitrites, 5ppm nitrates. Fishes seem to be doing okay at the moment hope they live, the females are pregnant and they seem to be the only ones sick. What kind of cruel irony does my tank have :mad:

I have NO clue what it is. I have a book with all the disease fish can get and so far none of them seem like the right diagnoses.

If you have a spare tank around, I would set it up and keep her in there, so she can try to be nursed to health by herself without getting any of the other fish sick. Sorry I'm not a disease expert, I don't know what she could have :(

Been doing a water change once a day to lower ammonia and now the fish who have survived seem to be doing fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom