Please help! Betta eye infection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kesh88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Around 8 weeks ago one of my bettas, Frost (a delta tail EE), developed a cloudiness in his right eye. Over time the cloudiness is gone and it seemed that his was healing but now his eye looks much worse. It is laying flat against his face, looks injured and has red marks around it (these weren’t present until a couple of days ago). I get the feeling he's injured the eye rather than it being a disease but now it looks like the area is infected, and I'm certain he's lost use of the eye. He still eats well and is as lazy as ever (he's never been overly active due to his large fins).

I've been doing 1-2x 25-40% water changes a week for 3 weeks now (I normally only do one a week) but haven't been adding anything other than Prime to the tank. I'm not sure what to treat him with? There are red cherry shrimp in the tank so I may have to remove him for treatment... I don't really keep a hospital tank set up but I have a 60 litre plastic tub, or otherwise a small 2 gallon tank I could use if need be.

Please help, how do I treat this?!

Tank details:
8-ish gallons (38 litres).
2 sponge filters.
Heated to around 78 F (25 Celsius).
Tankmates: A few dozen red cherry shrimp.
Food: He's fussy and will only eat Nutrafin Max tropical pellets or frozen bloodworms, I feed twice daily, 2-3 pellets at a time or half a dozen bloodworms once a week.
Maintenance: Once a week 30-40% water changes, I vacuum the substrate at the same time.
Additives used: Seachem Prime and Flourish for the plants.
Water Parameters:
Ammonia: 0-0.25ppm.
Nitrite: 0ppm.
Nitrate: 40ppm.
pH: 7.8.
I do not have a test kit for gH or kH.

Here’s some pictures of him 4 months ago and today…

May.jpg
Sep1.jpg
Sep2.jpg
Sep3.jpg

No. I've moved him into a 1.5 gallon tank with a heater and sponge filter so that it's easier for me to medicate and do water changes as necessary. At the moment I'm going daily 75% water changes. I don't have any proper medications on hand but I do have epsom salt, aquarium salt, bettafix, melafix and pimafix but I've read that the API treatments are no good for labrynth organ fish? I did have some malachite green and tetracycline but both expired so I threw then away and haven't had time to get more.

I'm a little concerned as I'm going away in 2 weeks for 10 days, he's going to have to go back into the 9 gallon tank for that and I guess I'll just have to hope he doesn't pass whilst I'm are away... I don't have anyone that can check on him whilst I'm away (all my friends live too far away and my neighbours aren't exactly overly friendly).

If u can get some kanamycin u might beable to heal him faster. I haven't Reed up on it. But sounds like it would work fast. Sounds like Popeye to me. Anyways that stuff is for serious infections. Or u could try ampicillin which is for Popeye. Good luck!

Definitely would go for antibiotic treatment now.

The API treatments are fine in that the risk is the same as other fish.

I’d go for the treatment below which covers any fungal as well.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/fungus-guard-tabs-8pk

'Contains two antibiotics as Furan 2 (nitrofurazone & furizolidone) and an anti fungal (potassium dichromate). The fura antibiotics are milder, older meds. The Kdichromate is a strong oxidizer.'

Back
Top Bottom