PLEASE HELP: Fish with Popeye!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Oh my gosh! So everything was going great, the water was looking crystal clear and all my fish seemed happy and healthy.

Then, one morning, I go down to do my weekly water change and I noticed one of my Flame Tetras looked awful! First of all, it had a 'whitened' stomach that appeared to have a 'veiny look'. By that, I mean that there are literally red veins showing on the stomach! Something that does not appear on the other fish. However, most noticeably, the eyes of the Flame Tetra are popping out like a Black Moor Goldfish!

I was shocked, I was not expecting this. Right away I went and tested my water. Everything seemed normal-

Ammonia: 0
pH: 6.8 (It has always been a bit low, never had an issue with that)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20 or under

I used both API Test Strips and API Liquid Testing Tubes.

Anyways, I decided to carry on with my weekly water change. The sick fish looks noticeably different than the other Flame Tetras. I am quite squeamish and the state of this fish disturbs me. I really don't want to lose him. :(

Because my water quality is fine, I have no idea what could have caused this!
I'm not sure if it came about slowly and I just have not noticed, (I wasn't home all day for two days straight) or if it was an overnight thing.

So, WHAT DO I DO???
Please help me, I really need it!

Lastly, here are a few details about my tank:

20g High-
6 Neon Tetras
5 Orange Von Rio Flame Tetras
4 Julii Cories
3 Male Guppies

I understand that pristine water quality is always a great thing for sick fish, but as there appears to be nothing wrong in particular with my water parameters I'm not sure how I would need to improve.. If I had to, I would do a water change everyday to save this little guy but clearly that's not really going to help.

Please help :(
Thank you for reading all of this!! I type a lot when I'm worried!

Thanks for the reply.
I did a Google search and this website explained things pretty well.
http://www.aboutfishonline.com/articles/popeye.html
It's going to be hard for me to make it out to the pet store, but I will try to pick up medication if possible.
Unfortunately, I do not have a quarantine tank. Is it okay to treat the whole tank with other fish in it?

I really hope my fishie survives. I'll be sure to keep the water as clean as possible..
I have a breeding trap, would that be a better option? It would help with isolation but not when it comes to treating the whole tank.. would it be better for the fish or stress him out more?

I personally would treat the whole tank, because who knows who else has it?!?! If he gets bad at swimming and is getting picked on, I would put him in the breeder net. If not, then I would leave him normally so you don't stress him out any more. :)

Okay, thanks for the tip. As for others having it, the link says that usually only one fish is affected. Do you think it could harm other fish if they don't have it?

No. I would get the anti-parasitic food, and you can try to just give it to the one whos sick, but they might all get a little. The thing is, when you feed the special food, you should feed only that for a month. You might have to put him in the breeder net after all, if you want to feed the rest normally.

Just got back from the pet store. They had Maracyn Two so that's what I got. It seems to be the most popular treatment among other Popeye websites, too.

I will go ahead and treat the whole tank... I may move the sick fish into the breeding trap for it is moving very slowly and I don't want it to get pushed around, but I will wait and see if moving her is necessary.

Hopefully this will do the trick... good news it that Maracyn treats a variety of illnesses, Popeye, Gill Disease, Dropsy, Fin Rot, and to my luck 'Septiciemia' which is described as "Bleeding or red streaks on the body, ulcers may also be present." Which appears to be what I had described earlier about the 'red vainy look' present on the stomach.

Thank you so much for helping me out. I will further update on the condition of this fish's health, hopefully it will improve!

Thanks again,

Update ~ No Improvement

A quick update:

Tonight will be the fourth day of dosing...
So far, I see no improvement in the fish's appetite, Septicemia, or Popeye. In fact, the eyes are getting worse. (Cloudier and larger)

I have moved the sick fish into the breeding trap because of chasing. It's normal for the Von Rios to chase and play a little bit here and there, but it's not okay with the sick fish because he's too weak. Plus, I can monitor him better in there.

I feel so bad for this fish! Hopefully things will start to get better :(
If not, I can repeat the treatment once more.

Thank you. Any additional advice or comments are always welcome.
Merry Christmas

Another Update ~ Some Improvement

Well, yesterday I gave the 5th night of treatment. I think I will repeat it again.. things aren't looking 100% yet.

•The Septicemia has really improved, but there is still a noticeable amount on one side. So, at least there is some progress, but a reason to repeat the treatment.

•The Popeye had not improved at all for some time, and then appeared to get worse. As of this morning it seems like a little bit of the 'swelling' behind the eyes might have gone down a tiny bit, but I can't really be sure. Another reason to repeat the treatment.

•However, the most important thing, that shows a major sign of improvement is an appetite! Last night, while I was dosing the 5th night of medicine, I saw the Tetra picking at the bottom of the breeding trap! Earlier I had put flakes in there but they just decayed at the bottom because the Tetra showed no interest in eating what so ever (something really unusual for him, but what happens when they get this illness). Anyway, because I saw him picking at the bottom I put in a few small flakes. The weird thing is when he goes to the surface he cannot seem to eat even the tiniest flakes, but he tries. However, once they sink, he can eat them :) That's a great sign of improvement!

P.S. Any thoughts or comments on my decision to repeat tonight?
Thanks!

If it says you can repeat, I would repeat. :) I have never used the meds you are using, so that's the only advice I can give you.
I wish you luck!

Thanks! Yes, on the back it says, "Treatment can be repeated up to one time."
I'm assuming that means it's okay to do right after the first one..
As I said earlier, not much improvement on the Popeye, some progress on Septicemia, and good signs with appetite. The fish still has an abnormally large/fat/chubby/bloated looking stomach..
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom