Possible Bacteria Infection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CheeseHead88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay where do I start! About a month ago I lost about 3 platies with the same symptoms, clamped fins, no appetite, and hiding under driftwood. I had about 13 of them now I have 8. I treated a week of melafix, then after that 3 days of quick cure, with water changes in between. I let the tank run with carbon for about two more weeks and everything seemed fine, but now I have lost two more platies that exhibited the same symptoms. All of my other platies swim actively and eat vigorously, but these guys just go under the driftwood swim around with clamped fins. When I pulled their bodies I noticed the scales on their stomaches seemed a bit yellow is that bad... probably! I need a good diagnosis, but can't put my foot on it. I change the water every week for the last several months. Help!:(

BTW I've had the fish for about 3 months, in a 20 gal. with a Whisper 60 power filter, running for almost a year. I also have a yellow twin bar platy same amount of time, with red streaks on her tail fin, Sepetcemia? I am not sure, she eats last water change was last Tuesday after first platy death. As for parameters unknown, no test kit! 8O

That sounds more like a skin parasite. Do the fish have the flee reflex? If so, that could be blood flagellates. I would set up a QT and keep up with the PWCs. Can you get a pic?

Last edited:
Also consider taking your water to a local lfs and have them test the parameters for you. It sounds more parasitic than bacterial but without pics it is hard to tell. You could try feeding the fish with a medicated food such as Jungle's parasitic food. Also what size is the tank and what are the other tank mates? Do you have an airstone and what temp do you keep it at?

That sounds more like a skin parasite. Do the fish have the flee reflex? If so, that could be blood flagellates. I would set up a QT and keep up with the PWCs. Can you get a pic?
By flee relflex what kind of symptoms are exposed?

Also consider taking your water to a local lfs and have them test the parameters for you. It sounds more parasitic than bacterial but without pics it is hard to tell. You could try feeding the fish with a medicated food such as Jungle's parasitic food. Also what size is the tank and what are the other tank mates? Do you have an airstone and what temp do you keep it at?
I would give you guys pics but unfortunately my fish are dead. I am now worried that it is something in my water that I need to treat ASAP. I haven't tried using medicated food yet. The temp. sits at 79 degrees with a heater, and I do have an airstone blazing bubbles constantly for my four cories which are doing fine for now. As for my twin bar with sepetecemia; could that be a parasitic infection as well. What do you guys recommend for treatment? Thanks!

I would recommend either Jungle's medicated food but for cories it may be too large. I also use Geltek which is not a medicated food but rather a gel you soak their food in for a while prior to feeding. The geltek can also be fed directly as food which is their recommendation but I have never had success getting the fish to eat it. I find soaking their regular food in it is far more successful.

As for an exterior treatment you can use Jungle's parasite clear or parasite buddies. Use half treatment for cories.

Back
Top Bottom