Possible parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkdubs2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I Have a male swordtail with what looks like bubbles forming under his skin. There's three white ones and one darker one (could be just bc of where it is.) if anyone has an idea of what it could be can u let me know? And should I isolate him? I have a med called maracyn-two would this help? The photo shows a white bubble and a black spot.

Well I isolated him anyways till I can figure out what's wrong with him. I just picked him up like two days ago so I may take him back and exchange him. Idk if I wanna risk my whole tank getting a parasite or spend the money to treat him atm.

So I have been treating him with some meds in an iso tank. He doesn't seem to be getting any better or worse. Could these simply be tumors or cancer? The petco I got these guys from said they had got some rainbow fish in at the same time that all had a weird fungus on them and it got passed to other fish. Idk if that helps narrow what it is down or not.

Your Livebearer

So I have been treating him with some meds in an iso tank. He doesn't seem to be getting any better or worse. Could these simply be tumors or cancer? The petco I got these guys from said they had got some rainbow fish in at the same time that all had a weird fungus on them and it got passed to other fish. Idk if that helps narrow what it is down or not.

Hello jk...

Medications generally stress fish. I'd never use them. What you can do is add a little standard aquarium salt to your water change water. A little more than a teaspoon for every 5 gallons should be enough and run the new water a little warmer than the water in the tank. Change half the tank water every few days for two to three weeks and see how your fish does.

The combination of the aquarium salt, a lot of pure, treated tap water and a little warmth should help.

B

Back
Top Bottom