potential "hole in the head disease" with my opaline gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xyyz

Aquarium Advice Activist
i just posted something about an angelfish with some redness around a pectoral fin, and now i noticed something's up with my opaline gourami.

a few moments ago i fed the fish some frozen krill only to see a sort of white indentation/spot on around the head of my opaline gourami.

is this a wound (a mated pair of angelfish are about to spawn, so they're getting really aggressive. he also tends to freak out at times and slams against various objects in the aquarium) or is it hole in the head disease?

if it is hole in the head disease, how do i treat it? should i treat the entire tank, since cichlids (angels and discus in this case) are also prone to it?

Attachments

• P8304634.jpg
    P8304634.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 182
  • P8304639.jpg
    P8304639.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,233
  • P8304657.jpg
    P8304657.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 162
  • P8304658.jpg
    P8304658.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 174
I doubt it is hole in the head. he probably hurt himself. Keep an eye on him, if it gets worse or gets infected you will need to isolate and treat him. Keep your water as clean as possible. Nothing cures a fish like pristine water.

i'm doing 1/3 water changes daily because of another issue i had with an angelfish, and i'm trying to get the water at the same parameters as my tap water.

i'll continue doing em.

thanks.

It doesn't look like HITH to me either. Keep the water clean as suggested, as long as you have no bettas in the tank you could add some melafix to the tank.

her's an update. the wound seems to be healing well, thank God.

i'm still keeping up with the water changes. i'll go out and get some melafix. i thought melafix wasn't recommended for all labrynth fish though?

My apologies I read the post incorrectly, no melafix should not be used with the gourami's or bettas, what you can use if necessary is Maracyn. Although as Rich pointed out the best medicine is pristine water. I was confusing your angelfish thread with this one when I was replying. Glad both sets of fish are doing better!

i know they say melafix/pimaflix shouldn't be used with labrinyth fish, but what's the reason?

Back
Top Bottom